Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

random backfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default random backfire

i was cruising today, not at wot, and my car loudly backfired. i pulled over to check it out, and it sounded like i had an exhaust leak. checked the header gaskets, everything was good. ran the scanner, no codes showed up, other than my rear o2's.

one thing i think might be it is where the exhaust shop welded the y-pipe. they did a rather shotty job at it, and i ended up basically getting no clearance where the driver's side goes next to the trans crossmember. i've hit it a couple times, dented it once trying to get on the ramps at the auto shop (thought it would clear). my question is this: could i have possibly hit it one too many times and caused one of the welds to blow?

i'm debating taking it to the shop tomorrow and pulling the y-pipe off, and just running open headers for a couple weeks, because starting the 9th of june, it will be parked for a month while i'm out training. i want to get a custom x-pipe put on. and just another question: i've been reading all over these forums about open headers and the supposedly "burnt valves" theory. i keep reading yes and no. which is it? is it bad to run open headers or can i do it for a few weeks? pic is of car right now with shitty clearance..

Old 05-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

You can run open headers as long as there is 18 inches of pipe after the header collector. Running no pipe at all after the collector and you run the risk of burning a valve.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Launching!

well put the car on the lift today, and found out it was leaking where the pipe slips on to the driver's side collector. i just took it off cuz it was obviously not fitting right. guess i'll have to get some exhaust pipe tomorrow. does it have to be 18" or can it be around a foot or so?