Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end problems

Hi,

I have a problem with my '00 Camaro SS M6 rearend. Everything started last summer. I had the car at the shop for strange rear end noises and they called me and told me that the rear end was toast and needed to be changed.

Then the apparently took a look at my warranty and saw that I only had 1/2 year left and they told me that it was only dry and they needed to fill up oil and supposedly there was no damage even though the rear end was dry.

I still have weird sounds from the rear end and the other day I inspected the rear axle to find out what causes a clunking sound every time i drive over a bump with the right rear wheel.

I found the rear end to be wet with oil from the bottom to about the middle of the cover plate. Also both axle tubes are wet with gear oil from the inside gasket to the middle.

That the whole thing looks rusty is just an added nuisance.

My questions:
1) is it normal/ok/nothing to worry about that the diff is all oily?
2) What is the probability that the diff ran dry and no damage occurred?
3) can a clunking sound from the right rear when driving over a bump be caused by a rear axle problem?
4) When I coast in gear at low rpm, like approaching a traffic light I hear a strange clackering sound from the right rear. Any idea what could cause that?

Thanks ... this is slowly driving me up the wall, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

dealers - btw, mine is in for a surprise - I got a GMPP from a competitor
Old 08-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear end problems

Nitrofish,
Sounds like you have the same problem that I have. as for your questions;
1) My diff is "wet" from the vent tube. The back of the cover is "wet" also. It is not dripping and the level is not down to the point of having to add fluid. I run mine down the autobahn between 115-145mph on a daily basis. Everybody I've talked to over here has the same type of seepage on the rear diff.
2) If you ran the diff dry I would say there is probably damage to the bearings(imo)(need to check it out)
3) not to sure about the clunking...
4) no idea on this on.
Hope I was able to help with some of your questions. It sounds like we have somewhat of the same problem. Are you getting any vibration at a steady speed or when slowing???
Hope it helps,
Val