General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Step by step instructions on bleeding brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Step by step instructions on bleeding brakes?

Just put new brakes on my 2001 WS6...Baer Eradispeed rotors, Hawk HPS pads, stainless steel brake lines. Now I need to bleed the system, and as of now plan on doing it the old fashioned way with two people. I got a length of 1/4" ID tube to connect to the bleeder valve to make it easier. I've had one person tell me I just need to bleed the calipers via bleeder valves, and another person tell me I need to bleed some ABS modules also. I'm looking for step by step instructions on bleeding my brakes.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason you would need to bleed the ABS module is if you let the master cylinder go dry or you disconnected the brake lines before the module.

If you simply swapped the calipers and/or lines, but quickly capped them you should just be able to get by with bleeding the calipers the old fashion way.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did the same setup a couple years ago. MAKE SURE you break in the brakes just like Baer says and do it a bit longer to be safe. i bled my brakes the old fashioned way and it worked like a charm.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

start of by gravity bleeding, then start the 2 person pressure bleeding!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the car is 7 years old I would say its a good idea to get all new fluid. Fluid gets mositure in it therefore not working 100% optimal. Fluid is cheap and thats where a lot of your pedal feel comes from! Good luck
Old 05-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Launching!

I did the same the other day changed my calipers and stuff. I just went and got speed bleeders. If you don't know what it is it's a replacement bleeder screw. You turn it 1/4-1/2 just like a regular one. It has a built in check valve so you don't have to keep tightning and loosening it. Makes it so much easier for one person like myself when help is not available. And it's only 10 bucks for a set of two of them. Great investment to me.

=\