Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Dimensions of a corvette rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dimensions of a corvette rear end?

Hi!
Does anyone know the length from the front of the T56 transmission to the place where the rear axles are connected on the differential?
Im in the planninge phase of a sick project

The plan was to use a ls1/ls2 and make a mid engine car. The easiest thing to do is seems to be to use the t56 and a corvette c5/6 rear end but i might need to go for a different setup if the "powerpack" gets to long

Sindre
Old 05-28-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might want to try a salvage yard to get the dimensions. I think it'll be a bit too long for what you may try, but I don't know what your trying to stuff it in.

here's some pictures of my spares so you can at least get an idea:

Old 05-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Parts like that are not to find at our salvage yards
Thanks! Good pictures. Havnt found a pic of the front of the t56 corvette tranny. IS that the one called M12?
The deal is. I want to make a insane Lamborghini diablo. Lambo "lovers" call it blasfemi but i call it urge for speed! haha!
The plan is ls1/2 supercharged in a real diablo chassie.
My goal is to make a very driveable diablo with more power than stock diablo GTR, lower weight and better weight balance. Ive found more than one real diablo for less than 10000USD (without engine, interior etc).
As for now im just sorting out what i need. I hoped it would be a fairly easy job if i could use "only" C6 parts for the rear but i might go for a porsche rear end insteed.

Have anyone mounted a ls* straight on a C5/6 transaxle before? doesnt seem to work because of the shift linkage etc.. hmm
Old 05-28-2008, 06:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

use a fbody bellhousing on a c5 tranny diff sestup
Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

i guess that rod above the input shaft is the shift lever. Isnt that in the way of the flywheel if you mount a fbody bellhouse straight on the C5 tranny?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Porsche G50 transaxle does quite well ( I think there are 2 different versions, one strong, and one weak) The G50 can take some abuse if I recall and it can be a fabricators friend too when it comes to small dimensions.
there are a couple of tweaks to the G50 transaxles, check out the Factory Five GTM . kit cars use the Porsche transaxle often.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:08 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info!
Ive found quite much good info when doing some research yesterday!
G5050 is the way to go but its pretty expensive. www.renegadehybrids.com makes adapters for every porsche transaxle on the market

Quick Reply: Dimensions of a corvette rear end?