Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

need a body mans opinion on metal flake

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need a body mans opinion on metal flake

Hello all, Ive got a question. Ive got an 85ss monte. Its a really nice car but the paint is super faded. I bought it off my father in law who took it to a body shop at one time to get an estimate. The guy told him that it would be $$$$ to paint due to the metal flake paint that was used from the factory. The guy quoted him a very high price because he said it would have to be taken to bare metal due to the metal particles showing through the new paint or something. I have no idea if this is bs or absolutely true. The reason I ask is i dont really have the money to paint the car at the moment. I dont, however want to let it rust because the body is immaculate, maybee 10 small dents in the whole car. Its an 85. Hard to find one with a body that straight. ME and my buddy were just gonna scuff it up and primer it just for the sake of protecting it. The paint is so thin on the top its trying to start to rust now. I can see it through the paint. I just dont want to primer it then have to have it all taken down again.
thanks
matt
Old 05-28-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally i would just take it down to bare metal if its that thin and then use a corrosion resistant primer to cover it, let it flash and then use a primer and then block and wetsand the primer and then if you wanna have it painted take it there. paint can range in price to anywhere from 35 a quart to over 1000 a quart. ive seen it even more then 1000 a quart but its all i what the color is and whos making it.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

Agreed...i would take it to bare metal
Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Launching!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! They don't use metal flake to get that effet from the factory. Let me guess it's like a red looking flake. That is pearl in the paint making that effect. That dude at the body shop is stroking ya. But if you really want it to look good it would be a good idea to strip the whole car.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

i painted my old 65 stang. in your situation with the paint being so thin i would go to wal mart or somewhere and get some aircraft paint stripper and on a hot sunny day go outside and put it on the car and get something like a razorblade and scrape it off. let the stripper (lol) sit on the roof for 20 mins or so and the sun will do a lot of work for ya and go over it with that blade and the paint will come right off. you dont want that cancer on the roof because that brings into play that repairing it properly as far as cutting the rust out and welding in new panel is out of the question for $$$ because you have to have headliner redone and all that. def take it down to metal tho and put some primer. even some in a spray can wouldnt hurt. just something to keep the metal from being exposed. i could be wrong but just my 2 cents.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i know that color, and all it is sunset red pearl, that dude is bending you over,

but the correct way is to remove everything and strip the car to bare metal, ppg ncp 271 is a corrosive resistant high build primer, awesome stuff, for quality you will pay for it, in our trade you get what ya pay for
a complete everything off the car, 5,000-8,000 and thats cheap
Old 05-31-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahaha..no im not letting that guy paint it. This has been several years ago. I was just wanting to get the heads up for when i DID decide to have it painted. (which will be very soon). I havent got any quotes yet, im sure its gonna be expensive. There is a crack in the door, I dont know why but it seems like every monte ive seen has the same damn crack in it. Must be a factory weak spot or something. Its right under the drivers side mirror. That and a spot up front that will have to be repaired along with the few dings in it. I hope that I can get it done at a decent price. I would really hate to let it sit in the garage and not drive it due to the paint. If i cant afford to have it painted i wont drive it. Keep it out of the elements at least.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bdyman
i know that color, and all it is sunset red pearl, that dude is bending you over,

but the correct way is to remove everything and strip the car to bare metal, ppg ncp 271 is a corrosive resistant high build primer, awesome stuff, for quality you will pay for it, in our trade you get what ya pay for
a complete everything off the car, 5,000-8,000 and thats cheap
Totally agree.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Jeeze, Id like to get ahold of the painter who said that and choke him.

That PPG primer is very good, I use it as well.