Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gas door alarm

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas door alarm

So I was curious if there would be a way to some how rig the gas door up to a car alarm. So if it was opened, the alarm would go off. Might be a little overboard, but just a thought. haha
Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats doing a little too much. Why not just a locking gas cap? I've heard of idiots drilling holes underneath the tank and just draining the gas all out. It has been getting freaking nuts with the whole gas thing.

Pretty sure you could get your alarm hooked up to the gas door. Maybe a motion sensor would fit in there. IDK.
The following users liked this post:
Koeberle (03-16-2023)
Old 05-28-2008, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AiDRocks
Thats doing a little too much. Why not just a locking gas cap? .
Well I just figured with a locking gas cap, they would have all night to tinker with it (I don't have a garage) to where an alarm they wouldn't expect it and I would know.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

you can do a pin switch and hook it up to zone 3 on a DEI alarm. I would have to say that locking gas cap would be my first vote though.

PS: what is the part number for the locking gas cap for our cars?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't looked lately, but about a year or so ago, I looked, and no one carried a locking cap for 98-01 cars.

So basically I let my rottweiler sleep next to the car at night.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:43 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by thecobrahunter
I haven't looked lately, but about a year or so ago, I looked, and no one carried a locking cap for 98-01 cars...
Autozone has them:

About this product:
Part Number: 5504
Weight: 0.25 lbs.

Note: Locking

Pricing:
$12.99

Availability:
Store: Normally stocked at your local store.
Online: Ships within 2 business days

They've had them for years.

*Edit:

O'Reilly's has them also:

MURRAY (MCS) - Locking Fuel Cap
Item No: 55040
$10.99 Each
1 Per Vehicle
1 year limited warranty

Peace,
Craig.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool...but I think I'll still go with the rott.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had a locking gas cap on my 99 t/a for a few years now. We ended up getting them on the cars because someone was stealing gas from them overnight from my parents driveway...We dont know how many times they did it (took gas from the expedition, durango, van, and my car). Finally realized what was going on when they left the light unscrewed (they had taken apart the light next to garage everytime so that they could work in the dark)
Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

So finally they made some for our cars, its about time. Cause i can recall in 02 when i wanted one for my car there were no locking gas cap for my 98 camaro they had some non locking caps. I will have to purchase one.

The picture of the gas cap CRAGER shows doesn't look like my gas cap.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not sure what brand mine is, but I remember buying it at either PepBoys or Autozone. It was a few years ago too.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by AiDRocks
Thats doing a little too much. Why not just a locking gas cap? I've heard of idiots drilling holes underneath the tank and just draining the gas all out. It has been getting freaking nuts with the whole gas thing.

Pretty sure you could get your alarm hooked up to the gas door. Maybe a motion sensor would fit in there. IDK.
I had hoped with such an old thread that someone would have come up with an alarm. Can not find anything for fuel door.
Your concept of locks causing extreme damage is correct. In the 70s during the 2 fuel shortages/price run ups I was in the fuel business and the instance of people with locks on their caps was extreme here in Southern California. Drilling holes in the tank was very common, especially in hotel parking lots and theaters, until prices stabilized and the economy adjusted. Of course, every wave of desperation or extreme opportunity generates a new spawn of lifetime professional criminals so the problem lives on at a lower rate during the down times after they learn and become addicted to the income stream.
The lowest damage with locking gas caps was that people would break them out and damage the fill area. Next was accessing a rubber part of that system and causing dangerous leaks of fuel and/or vapor that could ignite. Most costly was the hole in the tank. Some used simple ice picks and gathered a gallon or 5 then the rest leaked out on the ground and the repair meant down time and potentially a $1000 or more per incident.
Locking tanks during extreme shortage invites more violent and invasive methods because lack of transportation or extreme profit opportunity generates a high enough desperation rate that the only concern is getting caught and severely punished. A remote alarm would be best in my book. Something to notify me if I am parked out in the back parking lot and sitting in the theater would be ideal but an extreme noisy event at the vehicle would be a nice start if deterrent would be effective. The remote alert without local warning would be along the lines of trap and send to jail and I like that idea even more. The local criminals all talk and if someone could get sentenced to more than an uncomfortable night in a holding cell I believe it could clean up entire areas in short order.

Last edited by Koeberle; 03-16-2023 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling and missing words/clarification

Quick Reply: Gas door alarm