Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how to tell if wheel bearings are going out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default how to tell if wheel bearings are going out?

i just am in the process of changing brakes/rotors. when i spin the front wheel bearings i hear little tick tick tick, etc. i don't feel like there is excess resistance. i was just wondering if this was a sign that they were going out?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much help...but when my front left wheel bearing went bad, it didn't feel/sound any different than normal. I wouldn't have even known if I hadn't seen it when I took the tire off.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well there are a couple of ways. First you could put the tire back on and try and wiggle it. If you can then its bad. Then the other way is to drive down the road and put weight on each side. Swerve back and forth. Make sure your windows are up and radio is off when you do it so you can hear the bearing. It should make a growl sound when you put weight on it.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by cals400ex
i just am in the process of changing brakes/rotors. when i spin the front wheel bearings i hear little tick tick tick, etc. i don't feel like there is excess resistance. i was just wondering if this was a sign that they were going out?
Yes, its at least a sign that they are starting to go out. They should be perfectly smooth. Mine started squealing before I changed them and they ticked like this.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just put new front bearing on 2 months ago. I have had a ticking but it did not start until I installed the new brakepads and drill & slot rotors (which was way before the bearings were installed). I do not feel any resistance. I just assumed it is something to do with the pads and rotors.

You can only hear the ticking with the windows down and radio off.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

i can't even hear the tick when i am driving at all. i can just more or less feel a little tick tick when i turn the wheel bearing by hand when the brakes/rotors are off of the car.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are two really good, but similar methods:
1. With the wheel on the car and the car raised up so the wheel is off the ground, try to rock the wheel in and out by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire. Push on the bottom of the tire and pull on the top of the tire at the same time. You shouldn't feel any movement. If there is movement go to step two:
2. Remove the wheel and the brake rotor. Using a dial indicator and a magnetic base fixture the base on the spindle (upright) and have the tip of the dial indicator touch the front face of the hub near the outer diameter of the hub. Then rock the hub in and out. if the indicator gives a reading of 0.012 inch or greater (total displaced distance) then replace the hub.

The popular opinion is that the autozone timkin hubs are the best, but I wear them out pretty fast anyway. But I also autocross the car using 315's R-compound tires.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yes, its at least a sign that they are starting to go out. They should be perfectly smooth. Mine started squealing before I changed them and they ticked like this.
Clarification - the ticking on my car was more of a tick/grinding noise and was observed with the rotor and caliper off.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
There are two really good, but similar methods:
1. With the wheel on the car and the car raised up so the wheel is off the ground, try to rock the wheel in and out by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire. Push on the bottom of the tire and pull on the top of the tire at the same time. You shouldn't feel any movement. If there is movement go to step two:
2. Remove the wheel and the brake rotor. Using a dial indicator and a magnetic base fixture the base on the spindle (upright) and have the tip of the dial indicator touch the front face of the hub near the outer diameter of the hub. Then rock the hub in and out. if the indicator gives a reading of 0.012 inch or greater (total displaced distance) then replace the hub.

The popular opinion is that the autozone timkin hubs are the best, but I wear them out pretty fast anyway. But I also autocross the car using 315's R-compound tires.

is timkin the brand?

Quick Reply: how to tell if wheel bearings are going out?