General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need help! my key phiscally wont turn forward in the ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help! my key phiscally wont turn forward in the ignition

so i just drove the car no more than 20 min ago. now i go to get in it and the key physically wont turn forward. like its stuck... it will turn backwards to bring the radio on but i cant turn it forward, even without clutch pressure i should be able to turn it to the start position. If anyone has any suggestions before i tow it over to the dealership and take it up the rear in fees ide sure appreciate it.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Have you tried turning the steering wheel as you try to turn the ignition? I have seen the steering wheel lock with pressure on it and make the ignition hard to turn. Just an idea.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ +1

And i'm sure you checked this, but do you have the right key? Or possibly your current key is ground off just enough to not turn?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah my sister's truck did that.. The steering wheel locks before you get out of the car. Try turning it to the left or right as much as it can while its locked, in the meantime turning the key.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

jiggle the key and the wheel at the same time
Old 05-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Launching!

ill try that right now but the wheel doesnt seem like its locked
Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Launching!

after doing some reading, it looks to be the whole ignition cylinder... i dont have the time or tools to do it myself. it looks like i need to get the ignition cylinder from the dealership so it matches with my key. but i really dont want to pay for dealership labor. are there other places that i can take it? locksmith? will a local mechanic be able to swap it out for me? and im assuming i will need a new key too? how do i make sure i have the right resistor in the new key? and how much am i looking to spend on a job like this?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

If you get the new cylinder and have it matched to your key you should be able to do it yourself.

You would need all the basic tools, maybe a guide book or tear apart diagram, steering wheel puller and locking ring kit, torx drivers.

You can do it yourself.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
If you get the new cylinder and have it matched to your key you should be able to do it yourself.

You would need all the basic tools, maybe a guide book or tear apart diagram, steering wheel puller and locking ring kit, torx drivers.

You can do it yourself.
do i get matched to my key from the dealership? or do i have to have that done seperatly after i get the cylinder
Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

mine did that once then i realized i had hilton's camaro key in my hand. that bonehead left them on the floorboard.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Launching!

about how much can i expect to pay for the cylinder
Old 05-29-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JTelesone
about how much can i expect to pay for the cylinder
junkyard = new cylinder = new key = back in business.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You probably DO NOT need a new cylinder. Try a new key first. The key is made out of softer metal than the internal mechanism - it wears out first. When the key wears down, you'll get weird behavior. My ignition keys last me around 35K miles before I need to get new ones.

First try a spare key if you have one. If not, go to a dealer and get them to PUNCH you a new key. Obviously, if you copy the key you have, you'll just get a (bad) copy of a worn key. Dealers will be able to make you a brand new key that will fit the cylinder perfectly but there are two methods by which this can be done:
- Grind a new key on a precision grinder that is set for the right code
- Punch a new key on a key puncher

Before you go, ask the parts guys at the dealership if they can punch keys or if they use a grinder. (Be sure to give them both choices. Sometimes they will say they "punch" when they really have a grinder.) Grinding a new key works but the quality depends on the calibration of their machine. Punching should give you a better result. Some dealers will have one or the other, or both tools to do the work. If your first dealer can't punch - widen your search. Any Chevy or Pontiac dealer should be able to help you out.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Launching!

so i tried a new key but no luck. im gonna go to the dealership today for the new ignition cylinder, do i just ask them for a new ignition cylinder and give them my key. is it something i can expect to have done in a day, a couple days? thanks for all the help guys
Old 06-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

A dealership should be able to get you the part quickly.

If you have time and are going to do the work yourself, you may be able to find a locksmith who can re-build the old cylinder for you. (Not every locksmith will have the tools to do this.) I'm not sure what the cost differential would be.

Quick Reply: need help! my key phiscally wont turn forward in the ignition