Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn/KYB Compatibility

Old 05-29-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spohn/KYB Compatibility

I am in the process of wrapping up my suspension install and I ran into a problem. I bought a complete set of Spohn's upper and lower tubular control arms. I also just switched out my lowering springs in favor of some stock springs and just used my old KYB AGX shocks with the new stock springs. The problem I am running into is that the lower shock mount will not fit in the square cut out for mounting purposes on the Spohn lower control arm.

So before I start grinding on my brand new $400 lower control arms, I want to make sure this is a legit fit problem and not something I could be doing wrong. Any thoughts?
Old 05-31-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Can anybody that has Spohn control arms let me know what shocks they are using? I decided to just buy new shocks instead of grinding on the control arms and I need to know for sure what type and brand of shock will work. Any help?
Old 06-01-2008, 02:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes this is a legit problem I would say. I know our A-Arms were the same way for awhile until we corrected them. The KYB shocks have a much larger base then any other front shock out there. While designing if you do not have a set in front of you then you wouldn't know this. This is the only shock that is this way.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 06-01-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

That helps quite a bit. So it sounds like it is strictly a KYB issue. Any other shock should fit without an issue then?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Sinister95Z
That helps quite a bit. So it sounds like it is strictly a KYB issue. Any other shock should fit without an issue then?
Yes exactly. When you get your old shocks off compare them to the base of the KYB's and you will see how much larger the KYB's are.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for your help. Looks like I might be looking for some QA1 or Afco shocks soon...
Old 06-01-2008, 07:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Sinister95Z
Thanks for your help. Looks like I might be looking for some QA1 or Afco shocks soon...
We carry the QA1 shocks so if you have any questions please let me know or give us a call.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 06-27-2014, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is older than dirt, but I felt it needed to be updated.

I purchased a new set of KYB shocks for my lowered 01 F body. I don't care who says what, they work just fine and the car handles well. So right after I bought them, I had to remove my oil pan to fix a leak and decided what the hell...and went with a new Spohn K member and all four front control arms while I had things undone under there anyway. Good stuff that fits well and is of extremely high quality. Both materials and construction. Anyway, I was dismayed to hear I couldn't run my brand new KYB shocks...but I bought the Spohn stuff anyway. Well, after receiving everything, I compared the KYB to the control arm and could see why you can't use it...as is. Folks this is easy to fix. I took my grinder with a thin cut off wheel (maybe .060 or so) and simply put one blade width wider to the control arm on each side of the opening. There is no way on God's green earth you affected the performance or strength of the arm. Touch up the cut end with paint and call it good. Now, after bolting the shock in, it appears that it's possible the bottom of the shock could hit the control arm with a hard bump, etc. (man...those KYB shock ends are massive!) So I could grind off a bit off the bottom of the shock, or do what I did and use a couple of appx .050 aluminum shims I built from plate that fit under the shock mount. Problem solved. I have several miles on it now...bumps and all...and no issues whatsoever. Don't be afraid to use the KYB shocks with these if you have them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spohn/KYB Compatibility