Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint Progress Sunset Orange

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Progress Sunset Orange

Finally got around to getting started painting my car a few days ago. Not sure if you remember the thread I was going to turn my sunset orange firebird flat black. After thinking about it I couldn't let go of the sunset orange. Basically just got everything sanded right now (wetsanded from 180 in rough spots up to an overall finish with 600). Pretty much the entire hood and headlight covers have a few layers of filler primer due to rock chips. Took all the emblems off, vents out of the ram air hood and out of the side of the fenders. After wetsanding the filler primer decided to wash the car again with dishwashing liquid and water and dry it off just to keep things clean. Have pics just not uploaded yet. Getting ready to use Bulldog (adhesion promoter for plastics) on the front and rear bumper, possibly fenders, panel behind t tops and the hatch, not sure tho. May just use the scuffed paint (sanded all the clear off) and hit it with a tack rag and spray my base over the fenders and hatch. Worst thing I found my quarter panel had a **** load of BONDO all in it. Which usually yeah I've used bondo before but I heard its not such a good idea given the shape and everything of our qurater panels. Pics will be up soon. Also when I was sanding a few last spots on the front bumper the paint started chipping off like paint chips off wood. Under that was what I assume to be the original paint but it wouldn't chip or anything. Anything I should be worried about? Also what would have caused this (just wondering so I can avoid the previous painters mistake)
Old 05-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Launching!

You only need to use bulldog on bare plastics or in spots where it's hard to reach while sanding. If the paint on the front bumper is flaking off due to a repaint, make sure to strip it off back to the factory. The new paint will only be as good as the paint underneath. If the bondo was applied properly on the quarters, there's no reason to be scared of it.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Beyond Static
You only need to use bulldog on bare plastics or in spots where it's hard to reach while sanding. If the paint on the front bumper is flaking off due to a repaint, make sure to strip it off back to the factory. The new paint will only be as good as the paint underneath. If the bondo was applied properly on the quarters, there's no reason to be scared of it.
Thanks been working on stripping off the original re-paint areas, down to the original paint now. Any suggestions on the original paint under the flaking? Primer (specific kind of primer) or just sand the original paint and spray? Which I'm afraid to do on the plastics (bumpers mainly), just worried about impact or anything causing flaking. I know on my quarters and doors I'm going to use just a light coat of regular primer over the original paint just to help adhesion. I always try to take a few extra safety steps, pays for itself in the long run. Sorry for all the questions just my first car with plastic pieces I've had to do.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Sand the old paint off and apply a couple coats of primer. Transtar and nason both make relatively inexpensive filler primers. Both are around $100 for a gallon of primer plus hardener.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Thanks I done a test spot over the original paint using bulldog plastic prep to clean it with a scotch Brite Pad then let it dry and wiped it off with a tack rag then sprayed bulldog adhesion promoter on it. Let it set about 10 minutes (as the label says) then sprayed a little paint. Waited til this morning and took a scraper and it held pretty well. It actually took a little chunk off the original paint when trying to see how easy it will chip. I know sounds like an odd test but just checking. Here are a few pics I was able to get time to upload from when we were first taping it off and theres a pic of the bondo we had to take out of the quarter.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

I don't think the pics are working so heres the fquick links http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=154517

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=154518

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=154519

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=154520
Old 06-12-2008, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Still haven't got pics from the painting process uploaded but here are some of the ALMOST finished job. Still got to put on headlight covers, mirrors, and front plate cover and sand and buff. [B](Bad quality camera make the car look a little pink[/B], its actually a red shade of the sunset orange its a dupont color 663H Alt. 1 I believe)

Old 06-13-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Looks good....does look like pink from the camera though.

Quick Reply: Paint Progress Sunset Orange