Sponsored by:

cam install on c5

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 03:10 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam install on c5

i installed flp headers, exhaust ,ls6 intake. should i try to do the cam myself? or should i pay 600 bucks to let someone do it. i have a garage with the basic tools. no pully puller though
Old 08-11-2003, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: cam install on c5

Installing a cam in a vette is pretty simple, just like any other LS1/LS6 cam install that i've ever done EXCEPT, that on the vettes. the steering rack runs in front of the timing cover, therefor, the need to remove it is kinda involved. All in all, givin the right tools, lots of beer, and time, you'll beable to do it.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.ls1howto.com
Old 08-11-2003, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

It is not too bad. Removing the steering rack, radiator, etc. is a little bit of PITA but not too bad. Once that stuff is out of the way there is plenty of room to work. I have also found it much easier to work after removing the hood. You'll need a decent sized puller for the pulley and sprocket. Also, remember if you buy cam that needs to be degreed in, you will need a degree wheel, piston stop, etc. to do it correctly. I think I may have an extra Comp degree kit I would be willing to sell.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just did one last week. Really, the steering rack removal part is not that bad. Just have a pan under it when you disconnect the P/S lines and something to plug them with. It will siphon all of the fluid out of the reservoir and pump. I finally got some little pieces of 3/8 fuel line with a bolt in the end over the lines to stop the fluid running out. Also, the rack doesn't have to come completely out. Just unbolt it and move it over through the pass side wheel well.

Quick Reply: cam install on c5