General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another Ticking Post.......

Old 05-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Ticking Post.......

Alright, so I have the ticking sound coming from my '00 Z28. It is way louder from under the car and it is coming from the passenger side of the engine in the back. I checked for exhaust leaks and there are none. EGR and AIR are fine with no leaks there, and I am fairly certain that it is not a sticking valve. The performance of the engine has not been compromised at all. Every now and then I'll ping at WOT, but not often. I have sea foamed the engine too.

Another interesting thing that has been happening at the same time is that my radio and power windows will go out, then after about a minute come back on. This all seemed to start around the same time. I don't have a after market radio or any electrical work done to the car.

Coud a loose spark plug wire cause all this to happen, or are these unrelated events with two sepperate problems.

I haven't thrown any codes at all.

Mods to the engine: Jet-Hot LT, True Dual, SLP Lid and cold air kit, Super Chips Programer.

Any thoughts guys?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Well, if anyone out there has a ticking sound try 5w 30 if haven't already. Threw it in on my oil change yesterday and it solved the problem after about 30 min of driving around town.

Not sure where the electrical issues are coming from though.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Teching In

Does it tick at idle or at a certain rpm?

Mine started up a few days ago but would only be noticed at 2500 rmp and above...it felt fine, no noticeable issues and no codes.

It ended up being 2 broken valve springs. (The small inner spring on my dual spring setup)

Getting it fixed now.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Teching In

It was ticking at idle and would get faster with more RPMs. It was fairly loud too. Checked the plugs and wires and they were fine. So before I got deeper into anything else I wanted to see what different oil would do and tried out 5w 30 just for the hell of it. Like I said above it went away after about 30 min of driving.

I still keep a close ear to make sure. Makes me kinda nervous that it just went away like that. But so far so good.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

run seafoam through it, may be a sticking lifter and the 5w30 had an easier time inflating it, but doesn't really remove any deposits which may have caused it in the first place.

Search this Thread