PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i think i might have detonation but i dont know, help me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default i think i might have detonation but i dont know, help me!!!

ok well every once in a while, not all the time, but mostly in 2nd gear, sometimes 1st 3rd and 4th i can hear the engine tone change at about 5000 rpm. it sounds really weird and my friend 98 t/a does the same thing. someone told me to look at my air fuel and my KR. well its been running about 925 or so for the o2 and no KR. my frineds is running lean by the numbers but makes the same noise and has 3-5* of KR. i replaced all my plugs and wires and i have msd wires now and ngktr55 plugs. i dont have any engine codes comming on or anything. i just dont knwo what it is it sounds so weird and i cant descrebe it. almost sounds like the noise might be something rattling or some noise in the exhaust but i really dont know. i heard it really bad racing a saleen today when i took off from a stop. when he caught back up on my butt i droped it into second again and didnt hear the noise. i would think if it was detonation it would do it the same everytime. would the computers numbers for KR and rich/lean change. i took several runs and they were what they should be, went from stop and rolling. please help me out guys.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: i think i might have detonation but i dont know, help me!!!

ok i also just ran and my spark was about 29.5* and on my air/fuel gauge i was running about 3 green lights into the rich. with a very minor knocking/ticking noise.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

please, anyone?!
Old 08-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First try some Race gas, 103 or what what you can get. If the same scenario does not cause the detontation then you need to reduce spark, add fuel. If it still sounds that way, you may have other problems. Thats the quickest way I know to check.
Often the det. is caused by lugging the engine around in too high a gear for given load, low octane, hot temps.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

well first off i dont know how i or anyone else can explain it but can someone explain to me the noise i might hear with detonation? my spark at WOT is less than 30* and i hear thats where u wanna be. its also running 925 on the o2's so that shouldnt be lean right? ok so im gonna put in some racing gas when i run the gas down some more and then see if it does that.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

also what kind of problems might come from detonation, if its minor and if tis major
Old 08-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Restricted User

Minor, weakens the pistons, burns up plugs and drives you crazy.. Major, nothing more than internal meltdown.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

alright, found out i had a loose plug wire, maybe thats why my numbers were ok and that was happening. now my numbers are off, im getting about 1* of KR and my o2's are at 860-870. would the running lean problem casue the KR or do i need to pull some timing out too. or should i just send that all to the predator guy and let him take care of it. this should solve the rest of the ping problem right? its very minor now. sometimes i cant really hear it until about 5800. its just really hard to get these numbers driving alone lol any why are my ltft's at low speed around 2 and at higher speeds at about 6?
Old 08-12-2003, 12:46 PM
Restricted User

You want your LTFT's in the negative range slightly. Sometimes you haev to reset the PCm to get it to adjust after running a certian way. Yes, adding fuel at WOT will bring the AFR up, and should stop the det., but it is relavent on whether the PCM is needing time to recalibrate.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

should i just keep driving my car for a few days and then see what happens? would that be the same as resetting it? and when should i look at the ltft's. i was goin down the road at low speeds and they are about 3.91 and at about 65 in 6th they read about 5 or 6, what is the best rpm range and speed. would the ram air have an influence on these numbers? if so how could i check it properly?
Old 08-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Restricted User

Ram air wont affect the readings. You want it lower than 0, i.e. (-) and then at WOT your shooting for 0. But see where everything is at and email your vendor, let them know whats going on.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i just emailed him and he said my timing isnt agressive, told me to change my brand of fuel. i went back out like you said and the computer seems to be better now, fuel trims almost right at 0, but barely positive sometimes but no higher than 1.78%. my o2 is 920 and no KR and 30* of timing. im gonna try running 76's high octane and see if that makes a difference. if not what else could it be. i live here in NC so i dont know how the climate would effect this. should i go to a colder plug or something? if so what plug and what gap? i heard slight to no pinging on this run and i went to 6200 in every gear up to 3rd.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Where in NC are you? I'm in the g'boro area. If you're close, we could get together and put our heads together to see what's going on.

email me: fmueller@triad.rr.com