Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Not so sure about this...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not so sure about this...

So I broke a spring and lifter last week and since pulled the heads off, but broke a bolt inside the block. I've been looking for a shop to help me out but noone would really tell me to bring it in, they keep referring me to other shops. So my dad gets a referral to Gustaf auto and machine in moline, IL so I take the block to them today. The guy there kept on with pulling the short block apart and getting to the bolt from the bottom. I told him it's blind and he says he'll cut a hole and weld it back up. This sound right to you guys? I kept telling him no and he wasn't listening. but finally he agreed to just try it from the top. I hope he doesn't do that ****. I'm calling him again monday to make sure he doesn't!

Anyways he agreed if he can't save the threads he'll drill it out, install one of those devices like a heli coil but longer, can't think of the name, and put a stud in there. You think this would be alright at least to run it? I don't think I'll trust it with many high RPM's but I'm thinking it might be ok to at least have the car going til I can afford a new 402

Any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After the cost and headaches I would just ditch it and get another block.

Then find another shop to deal with, sounds like this guy is a hack, what he is wanting to do is fairly common but I would not trust that stuff in a high performance application.

Like I said, for the cost just buy another block.