Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

think my clutch is toast

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default think my clutch is toast

well, i got in the car this morning to come home from work and there was a metal-on-metal clattering sound that increases/decreases speed with RPM's, and it sounds louder under the car than in the engine compartment.....i'm going to assume this is the clutch, or is there something else that could cause this sound?

i've already double-checked the exhaust to make sure it's not just clattering against the body, i got a small floor jack and raised up on it while the car was running and the sound stayed the same.

does this sound like clutch problems to you guys?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is doing the same thing, from what i have looked into, it is the pilot bearing on its way out. and since i am still on a stock clutch, i went ahead and bought an ls7 clutch kit along with the bearing to put in, no use pulling the tranny just to swap the bearing out
Old 05-31-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

90% of the time if your clutch is going out it will slip in the high gears and the more it goes out it begins to work its way down the gears, i would have to agree it sounds like a throw out bearing and it would be a good idea to go ahead and put in a new clutch, and slave cyl.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

ok, so here's a list of all the parts i may possibly need to replace....is this the entire list of things that would require the transmission to be dropped to replace them (or the tools used to help the replacement), or am i missing anything? i wanna make sure i get everything i need to get this fixed right the first time:

clutch disk
pressure plate
flywheel
flywheel bolt kit
throw out bearing
slave cylinder
alignment tool
Old 05-31-2008, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

May as well do a pilot bearing, you'll already have everything out. Cheap part too.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

well, it turns out it's likely not the clutch or related parts after all. i took it in to have it looked at, and they think it's just a blowout in one or both of the catalytic converters, and the broken honeycomb is rattling around in there. they said they'll know for sure tomorrow morning, though.

if so, i see a cat-gutting (and O2 sim-installing) party in store for me really soon!

Quick Reply: think my clutch is toast