Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

I need help/guidance

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 04:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Default I need help/guidance

Ok, so I may be picking up a 93 6cyl auto camaro for free. I know basicly all that I want to do with it. Basicly its gonna be a nitrous car with a built TH400, fab 9, full suspension, and super light. My question comes with the motor. I was thinking carbed small block, but what kind of power can I really make on pumpgas with one? I think if I can do somewhere around 4-600 WHP with one on motor Ill be ok, but will that take a crazy *** build? Or should I just go BBC, because there is no replacement for displacement right?

The car is going to be a long term semi budget build. I want to run single digits somewhere, the lower the better. Help me decide a definitive engine route guys.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 05-31-2008, 08:47 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, the common build for a small block is the 383 stroker, they even make a 396 stroker which is both drived from a 350 block, the 383 can be made to have 450 RWHP on motor pretty easile, Shawn@VAspeed sells a great 383 that makes 550 HP at the flywheel around 6200 RPM i believe, that would make 450-470 or better at the rear tires on motor. It is all in the amount you want to have, a guy like me does not mind a car that beats the hell out of the ground driving around town so a higher HP level is easily made into a daily driver, others like a more calm aproach. A big block has more rotating mass and weight, so a 496 is the field you would want to go with if you did the big block side, so basically you can make 500 RWHP on a 496 and still have 93 octane in the tank, but it takes more to finaggle one in and custom headers. I like the small bock in the 4ths gens and i will go big block eventually in my third gen. Hooker makes headers for my third for a decent price.

Hope you figgure out what youre looking for!