General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

alt? batt? wat is it??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up alt? batt? wat is it??

i cant figure out why the battery isnt recharging?? i had the car on and disconnected the battery and the car turned off. So i was like ok its the alternator. i took it to an auto shop to get it tested and it was fine. so i was like wtf? i seen that the wire from the wiring harness was frayed and exposed so i was like AHAA!! changed it.. and it worked for like a minute. then i turned on my turn signal and it jus dropped. so i thot that the battery wasnt holding the charge. i tested my yellowtop optima and it failed. but i heard that because they are deep cycle batt that they will fail jus about every time if they arent slowly fully charged. so i had another one lying around and tried that and still dying. im guessing that its the alternator. its prolly "worn out". i hate taking that thing out of a 99 camaro z28.. (under the power steering) WTF!!!

any ideas??

Thanks!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

wow i have the EXACT same problem. the alternator was old so i replaced it and still nothing. i then tested the old old one and it was fine! then i replaced the top wire and nothing! I also have a yellow top optima! im ****** confused, maybe it can be our fuses?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

fuses????
Old 06-01-2008, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

i jus replaced the alternator and now it works fine. weird. i got the old one tested at 2 different places and it tested good. are you sure when you replaced the old wire that the right wire is connected to the wiring harness? cause its just a single wire (red) and when i bought the replacement for mine it had 4 wires instead of one. make sure u spliced it right too.
Good luck