Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Antena gettting stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antena gettting stuck?

Well, my antena has been noisy since the day I got my car. The other day when I was washing my car, I leaned on the house to see the beauty shine, and I noticed my antena had not gone down. I just smiled, said "Great", turned the key on, then back off, and it went down. What should I do, this is anoying. Stays up everytime I turn the car off, then I turn the key on and off again and it goes down...HELP!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Mine goes about 3 quarters of the way down and stops now..
Old 06-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Does anyone know what causes this, the motor seems to be working fine. Is there a gear the getting stripped...
Old 06-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes -> The paint on the mast starts coming off and it "gums" things up. Exposure to road salt seems to make the problem worse and I often get the problem after long road trips in winter weather.

The intermediate fix is to use a rag to apply mineral spirits to the mast. That and a couple of cycles up/down and the problem should clear it up for the summer, at least. (At this point, you'll probably need to do the mineral spirits thing about once a year.)

If the fix above doesn't work, (or over time the mineral spirits isn't enough to keep it going) you can get a new mast for the motor. Part # 10256439 (Comes with instructions.)
Old 06-02-2008, 01:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yes -> The paint on the mast starts coming off and it "gums" things up. Exposure to road salt seems to make the problem worse and I often get the problem after long road trips in winter weather.

The intermediate fix is to use a rag to apply mineral spirits to the mast. That and a couple of cycles up/down and the problem should clear it up for the summer, at least. (At this point, you'll probably need to do the mineral spirits thing about once a year.)

If the fix above doesn't work, (or over time the mineral spirits isn't enough to keep it going) you can get a new mast for the motor. Part # 10256439 (Comes with instructions.)
Thanks! Even though I feel stupid now. When I first noticed I went and looked at the mast and saw a bunch of stuff in the joints, I thought it was some kind of grease. Well, I think you can tell how much mine is stopped up.