Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch stuck down!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch stuck down!

I know, there is a HUGE sticky on the issue. I am a relative newbie to most of this so go easy on me. I go to get in the car for work this morning and the clutch is stuck completely down on the floor. Eventually got it into neutral but clutch is still stuck down and car won't go into gear at all.

I wasn't driving the car hard yesterday as I drove a lot of highway miles with little shifting. I guess when I parked I had no idea the clutch was even stuck down as I got out.

Either way, fucked with it for a few minutes and got a friend to drop me off at work.

As a newbie, what is the first and easiest thing to do to try and fix this problem here?

I don't have any clutch slipping / grinding whatsoever. The car has 53k miles and is a 2000 z-28. I never had ANY problems up until now since I bought it used about 3 months ago.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

1st is the master cylinder. its not hard to change and its about $150.

if that doesnt work... then it's the slave and therefore.. it will cost you. tranny has to come down to replace it.

it happened to me. so i know.

it sucks. mine lasted about 60k miles.

good luck.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Ouch, we'll see I guess. Car is stuck at home right now, I'm pretty nervous, hoping it'll be a minor issue.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

if the master doesnt fix it... look inti replacing clutch and flywheel/pilot bearing sice the tranny will be down.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

same exact thing happened to me in my 00 trans am and it was the master. only difference was that it suck to the floor after a pull. ended up replacing the slave, pressure plate, clutch, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing before realizing that it still did the same damn thing. replaced the master cylinder and it worked like a champ.

i would definately change the master before anything else so that you dont have to pull the tranny if its not necessary. just start a process of elimination with the master.

hopefully youll change the master and have no more problems. but if it persists, then youll know it is in the tranny obviously. but if it isnt the master then it has to be the slave cylinder.

Search this Thread