Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What Shock for Stock Spring??

Old 06-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Shock for Stock Spring??

I got a ws6, would be nice to have a more planted feel.....

Besides the adjustable Konis, what would match the stock spring rate and give a more stable ride??? What is the final ride quality?? I got the hose mod out back.

As always, cost is an issue.

Last edited by danf1000; 06-02-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a single adjustable QA1 which can tune for smooth rides, firmer cornering or drag racing with the turn of a button and they are reasonably priced.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I wouldn't put QA1's on my worst enemies car.... well, on second thought maybe I would.

At this point you have horrible stock shocks. Most anything will be better because of what you starting with. I'd recommend either a set of Tokico non-adjsutables @ $345 a set as a good and decentely valving (if not great) set. They would have been appropriate as stock shocks, nothing more but nothing less.

Or, you can get a set of KYB AGX's for $409 a set. These offer you adjustment so you can play around with the ride/response and feel of the car to make it suit what you want. They are built better than QA1's IMHO, and have silly details that make them better like..... a gas charge to help keep shock fade away.

Koni's are the best. Great control without an overly stiff ride. The AGX's tend to ride a bit more stiffly at a similar amount of damping control, and have more coarse adjustments. For me it'll always be Koni over AGX's, and AGX's always over QA1's.... MHO

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Launching!

All hail, the sensei has entered!!

Thx for the tip!

Oh, and what about high-speed driving?? Damping over potholes?? "Planted" feel?? Would the non-adjustable Tokico or AGX assist in these areas??

--dan
Old 06-02-2008, 02:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Both would... but the Tokico's offer you no ability to change damping levels to suit. That "planted" feel is good rebound control, and it is what it is in a non-adjustable shock. Where as when you can change the level of force, you change the way the car takes a set. The issue with AGX's is that any change in rebound is accompanied by a change in compression damping as well and that hurts the ride more than with a Koni that only give you what we seek, a change in rebound and not in both.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Thx again.

Final note, between the two, $50 isn't much, which do you prefer then?????????

my guess is for the smoother ride, Tokico, but warranty suks..........
Old 06-02-2008, 02:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think it's pretty clear in post #3..... And the warranty sucks on both when you try to cash it in. Koni excels here, the others give you exactly what you paid for in terms of service.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Launching!

inferred but not stated..

I gotcha.

You will be hearing from me soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Shock for Stock Spring??