Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Overheating concern

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overheating concern

Not sure what the issue is here. My car heats up quick and doesn't stop. I have two 67's and the radiator is positioned completely vertical with 2 spal fans (which work). I can't remember what rad it is but I got it from speed inc when the setup was built. I think it is fine but the temps keep going up unless I am on the free way then I can get them back to about 200 - 210 after some decent cruising but the minute I slow down or stop they shoot back up towards the 250 mark which maxs out the gauge. Never let it go to the max yet but don't want it to either. If I ever end up in traffic I'm screwed. Any suggestion? I also looked at a ron davis radiator but like I said I don't think this is the problem.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like your water pump isnt working or the thermostat is stuck open. when you go down the free way. the air is passing faster and cooling down the coolent. so i would swap out the thermostat first. or pull it out and put it in pan of boiling water and see if it opens and closes. just a thought...
Old 06-02-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

Which thermo is in your car, and at what temps are your fans coming on? Are the fans mounted directly on the radiator? And the obvious question: are they wired correctly and actually blowing in the direction you think they are?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah I checked the fans and they are mounted directly to the radiator and are working correctly. The thermo is a 160 degree. What temps should I be expecting if everything is working like it should? I know the turbo make everything hotter.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pull the thermostat and test it it a pot of boiling water. Use a meat thermometer to see if it opens up at 160.

-B
Old 06-03-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
Yeah I checked the fans and they are mounted directly to the radiator and are working correctly. The thermo is a 160 degree. What temps should I be expecting if everything is working like it should? I know the turbo make everything hotter.
A tell tale sign of overheating during city driving and NOT overheating while on the highway is:

1) fans are not working (but I know you said they are) Fans are only used while doing city driving, the ram air from the air dam during highway cruising is all that is used to cool the coolant while moving, the fans stay off.

2) the t-stat is stuck open and the same applies as #1, the ram air can keep you cool, but when you the stop and go driving, you're screwed.

The water pump has to be fine, if that didn't work you will over heat fast no matter what kind of driving you're doing, period.

Start the engine when its cold, with the radiator cap OFF, see if coolant immediately starts to flow, if it does your t-stat is stuck open. But....if its not immediately flowing I would stand there and wait for it to start flowing and make sure that after it opens it closes again. If it just keeps on flowing and does not stop flowing, then its sticking open after it gets hot.

Obviously if it flows at all, the pump is fine.

If the t-stat is opening and closing, its the fans. Fans also have low and high settings, do the spals do both? And what are they set for? This may sound stupid, but are the fans mounted right and pulling the air through the radiator towards the engine?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

From the symptoms, check to make sure the fans are PULLING air through the radiator and not PUSHING air back into it. The car willact as you described if the fans are turning the wrong direction. Easy fix if that's the case.....reverse the +/- wires.

Good luck.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Well the car should be back from the body shop tomorrow and I am gonna test all of these! Again! I'll post up what I find. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

I realized one of my fans wasn't kicking in and I rewired it so it works now. My question is could one fan make this big a difference or could there be other issues yet???
Old 06-07-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at what temp are your fan set to come on?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

Not sure but they kick in pretty quick. They turn on before 160.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
Not sure what the issue is here. My car heats up quick and doesn't stop. I have two 67's and the radiator is positioned completely vertical with 2 spal fans (which work). I can't remember what rad it is but I got it from speed inc when the setup was built. I think it is fine but the temps keep going up unless I am on the free way then I can get them back to about 200 - 210 after some decent cruising but the minute I slow down or stop they shoot back up towards the 250 mark which maxs out the gauge. Never let it go to the max yet but don't want it to either. If I ever end up in traffic I'm screwed. Any suggestion? I also looked at a ron davis radiator but like I said I don't think this is the problem.

Thanks.
See man ,Soon as you said Speed inc, it made me think of a stock radiator!! because when i talked to them earlyer this year about there turbo kits, they told me they run and use stock rads for there build because thats what i called to ask them, if they sold afternmarket rads !!So you might want to double check to see what kinfd of rad you have???Good luck
Old 06-07-2008, 12:53 AM
10 Second Club

It is by no means a stocker. I have my stocker and this one is thicker and better quality. I also had every part delivered to the house first so I could see it and I just can't remember the company for sure. I am positive it isn't stock though. They use the stockers on the smaller kits I believe but I have a large custom setup.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Banned

The second fan working should help greatly.

if the temps still climb let me know
Old 06-07-2008, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

will do! What temps would be reasonable for this setup? I know it will be hot but not sure what should be expected.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

I'm running:
Smaller custom radiator from Speed Inc. nothing mega fancy
One pusher fan
One puller fan

Last year I had one fan wired wrong, the puller was wired up as a pusher, my bad. Corrected that and it it cruises at 190F all day long (though I have not driven the car in 90F) weather.

So if both fans are working, and you have the air dam on, you need to do some digging. If you run hotter if you sit at a light, you need to see what's going on. Make sure the fans are really working.

Get a new radiator cap, easy check.

I have a friend with the Speed Inc. TT kit, I think he cruises around 190-200F most of the time.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there anything bad about having 2 pusher fans, and 1 puller? I may have enough room for 1 stock puller fan.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-07-2008, 05:05 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

No that should work fine good.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Well cruising around the temps seemed to hold steady at around 200-210. Then dropped to 175 when the rain came Didn't do a lot of stop and go but it seems to be working. I will test it a little more but I think it will be fine!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:10 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Maybe also run a bottle of water wetter, and check the coolant level when cold. If it looks low, top it off, then I run the car, and watch the level. 190-200F is fine for cars with big turbos.