Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

power windows/locks on camaro not originally equipped

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default power windows/locks on camaro not originally equipped

ive stumbled onto a pretty good deal on a clean 94 Z28 and im really ready to jump on it, only snag is its a bare bones Z with no power accessories.

im considering two options and need input regarding both from someone who's done a retrofit.

first option is to get a hold of some used factory parts. i'd throw em all in where they go and wire em to some factory switches and panels.

second option is go with aftermarket. wire like they should but try to make em work with factory switches and panels.

if someone has been through this please give me your input. i am quite experienced in electrical and fbodies in general so id just to like to know exactly how much is involved.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i tried the search and came up with these:

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=GM70-K
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...Category_Code=

those are pricey but badass. then for the locks i found this:

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...ode=W01F-B6000

thats a keyless entry alarm too which is a bonus but will those lock actuators work on our doors? im not too familiar how they work, that looks like a janky universal kit.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I used the power window kits to replace my worn OEM regulators and motors. (In an effort to break my nasty string of the OEM motors going bad.) They are badass. The units are excellent and run much faster than the stock mechanisms.

I've had them for over a year now and they are still going strong. I purchased mine through a different non-sponsoring company and they were the same price. $250.

Not sure about the locks, but I imagine the hardest part of the whole project is not the mechanical pieces - but how to build the switchgear on the doors.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok so its nothing too difficult. that really helps, i dont really wanna pass this one up just because of power windows...
Old 06-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Right - the mechanicals shouldn't be difficult - but the electrical may be. For instance, if you use the factory harnesses for the wiring, you may need an express down module for the driver's side as the switch depends on it.

If you are going to use the stock wiring, I highly recommend getting a full set of factory service manuals for the car. You can usually get good deals on eBay. These manuals have full schematics for all the circuitry and will help you map out the factory wiring.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive already got a haynes which helps some but i know of a few good resources online to get exactly what i need. i think if i use that harness on that site i shouldnt need an express down module, although i was thinking of getting two anyway (one for each window)
Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Save the manuals!

I put a second express module in when I put in the new regs/motors and don't regret it. Having the feature on both sides is nice - and the modules work fine with the aftermarket parts.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the door locks is the easy part IMO
Old 06-26-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
I put a second express module in when I put in the new regs/motors and don't regret it. Having the feature on both sides is nice - and the modules work fine with the aftermarket parts.
Does this not require any additional wires/switch? Got any info on how to install? The module is 75 dollars from the dealer....
Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Does this not require any additional wires/switch? Got any info on how to install? The module is 75 dollars from the dealer....
This is the site to guide you through doing it on a budget: http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/expresswindow.htm

I got a bit more extreme and minimized my splicing by re-building some of the factory harnesses and connectors - but that kind of work requires an investment of around $300+ of tools and connectors.

Attached is a schematic of the end product.
Attached Thumbnails power windows/locks on camaro not originally equipped-passenger-express-up-schematic.jpg  
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ur better off with manual windows!