Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

EBC drilled and slotted rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default EBC drilled and slotted rotors...

Im considering the EBC drilled and slotted rotors. What I like is that they aren't drilled through...so I guess you could call them dimpled. Seems like it's the best for looks and longevity.

Any opinons on them?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering as well. Brakes are my next project and was looking into these. I noticed on the ws6 store website that they are actually black in color. Anyone have info on them?
Old 06-04-2008, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EBC claims that the holes all the way through will tend to crack if they get super hot, I have had some of this on my Impala ss with the drilled/slotted rotors. The EBC dimples will fill with brake dust and from 5 feet away they look like holes so you really aren't giving up anything in appearance, and the rotors are stronger. Good choice.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

The best rotors for longevity would be blanks. I think you meant comparing drilled with dimpled though...

How are they as far as not rusting? I don't care too much about looks, but it would be nice if I could check out my brakes and have them not look like *** once in a while. I'll probably go with the ATE rotors in that case. I think Brembos are just as expensive as the ATE rotors these days anyway.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i put a set of ebc slotted/dimpled rotors on my 98 saturn (also had h&r springs, strut tower brace and falken azenis tires). it was just a daily driver that i pushed reeaally hard up to 200k miles, then sold to a friend for a couple hundred bucks. those brakes were exceptional. they wore pads evenly (despite all the standing on the brakes) and stopped great (used ebc pads). i paid a bit more for them for just a pair of front rotors than i did on all 4 cheap rotors for my camaro from ws6store.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

It will continued to be debated in almost all conversations in almost every medium, but really, unless your pads have major outgassing issues beyond a proper bed in, then a "blank-faced" rotor constructed with a good iron compound and of decent weight will be best. Drilled, slotted, dimples, ellipses, J-hooks, face pattern chamfering, etc. none measured up to the Brembo blank, or a likewise comparison. Anywhere from excessively worn pads, cracked rotors (even with cryogenic treatment), and overheating, my braking distances weren't improved (yet some were increased) until I changed to a blank rotor with a good amount of material. As a additional note, I used different sets of the exact same brand name and type of pad with all of these different rotors.

This is why I have stuck with Brembo blanks with Hawk HPS's as a good performance and reliability upgrade from the horrid ACDelco rotors and pads that came with the car. The only exception I would find would be the Ate rotors for nearly the same price. I'm still a bit skiddish with concerns to the "elliptical slotted wear indicator" but I'll wait unitl someone tries it out.

With concerns to most of the brake rotor gimmicks out there, I have a hard time spending my hard earned money on simple over-priced gimmicks to result in less-performance, but then again, that's just me and my 2 cents.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree that the differences i've noticed with good/bad rotors have always come down to the rotor compound.

best rotors i have ever had to date were brembo rotors (albeit, slotted). i want to say that the ebc rotors are just about as good. ebc rotors stopped perfectly, but required a little more pedal effort and did not have as much bite as the brembos - my thought was that it may have been due to the dimpled holes taking braking surface area away from the rotor.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing I may mention here is, no type of rotor will resolve the problems incurred if your pads are either worn, defective, and/or not of a good compound for the task. Brake pads are highly underestimated with concerns to braking products.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have some on my car and like them a lot, they look good, brakes smoother and havnt had any problems with them
Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

I have them. They are decent. I have a squeal at low speeds but it seems to be going away as I put more piles on them. I also got the red stuff pads.

They are coated black but it's just a coating so they wear to the same old shiny looking rotor. The coating does keep them from rusting where the pads don't contact the rotor.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Yeah EBC, they are a good company I've used them nothing bad to say.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Ive been running Baer Drilled and Slotted for over the past year.. havent had any problems with them. They seem to be a good rotor for the money. No warping/cracking etc.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Teching In

With regards to the Brembo blanks, do you guys know the part numbers for both the front & rear rotors? I find the Brembo part numbers for the drilled and slotted rotors all the time, but not the blanks. Also, any sites that sell them would be helpful too. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I found the part numbers for the brembo blanks....for the front: 27197 for the rear: 27249
Old 08-04-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.stranoparts.com/

As of last that I heard, Sam Strano currently sells Brembo blanks, however he also sells Ate, which are also well made.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

I think ws6 store carries them also. Only two places I've seen them.

Quick Reply: EBC drilled and slotted rotors...