Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Is It Illegal for Performance Shops to Perform work on our Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is It Illegal for Performance Shops to Perform work on our Cars?

I just realized something the other day, and I'm not sure if I'm correct, so that's why I'll ask you guys. People are getting fed up with exhaust shops unwilling to perform work on our cars IF we have longtubes and whatnot. Why do exhaust shops do that? Because they cannot contribute to a vehicle that has already had its emission equipment tampered with, in other words, its against the law for them to do so. If thats the case... if exhaust shops wont even touch our cars because its parts have been tampered with, how come our performance shops dont even get scared at the fact that they are NOT ONLY tampering with the emissions equipment, but they are REMOVING it completely? LOL. Or do performance shops have a loop hole around it? Maybe because we sign a waiver to have the work done? I dunno. Heres a link of what a Sponsor does:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2007-gen-i/931611-emissions-laws-faq-katech-performance.html
Old 06-03-2008, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

i dont think it should matter...for all they know it could be a car that you only use for the track...i don't understand why they would refuse
Old 06-03-2008, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Well, according to ls1tech Sponsor Katech, they say they follow the law and if you follow the link i posted, they state this:

Exceptions in which Katech would install headers or remove catalysts:
1. Race cars. A race car is defined as a vehicle which is not registered in any state, has no license plate, and is trailered to and from Katech. It is never operated on public roads or highways, only at sanctioned race tracks. If Katech suspects that the vehicle is used on the street, work will stop immediately, the vehicle will be returned to stock and appropriate charges for this labor billed to the customer.

Businesses who perform such work will be fined up to $25,000 per violation and the Federal EPA has the authority to suspend business and pursue legal action
Old 06-03-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Well, according to ls1tech Sponsor Katech, they say they follow the law and if you follow the link i posted, they state this:

Exceptions in which Katech would install headers or remove catalysts:
1. Race cars. A race car is defined as a vehicle which is not registered in any state, has no license plate, and is trailered to and from Katech. It is never operated on public roads or highways, only at sanctioned race tracks. If Katech suspects that the vehicle is used on the street, work will stop immediately, the vehicle will be returned to stock and appropriate charges for this labor billed to the customer.

Businesses who perform such work will be fined up to $25,000 per violation and the Federal EPA has the authority to suspend business and pursue legal action
That's just a "mumbo jumbo" for a shop to cover their ***. Do you really think they are going to throw away all of the "illegal" business out there?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
That's just a "mumbo jumbo" for a shop to cover their ***. Do you really think they are going to throw away all of the "illegal" business out there?
yeah not happening...besides if i got pulled over and a cop saw my illegal exhaust i wouldn't tell em where i got the work done...*** that i'm gonna have to go back to them so giving them up is not an option lol
Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

every car that leaves my shop is a race vehicle..... customer sign that waiver when they take their car
Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
every car that leaves my shop is a race vehicle..... customer sign that waiver when they take their car
+1
i asked the same question at a few shops . . when u sign the paper for ur work it says that the car is now not legal to drive on the streets
once it leaves the shop its not there problem what u do with it. lol

kinda like bars. . ur not allowed to drink and drive so u cant blame it on the bar u got pulled over ur the one that should know whats up
Old 06-03-2008, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Oh okay, that's what i was thinking. I was just scared of the idea that performance shops were going to start acting like exhaust shops.

Last edited by 1fastz; 06-03-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

it is the same thing as summit, they know the illegal parts are going to california but they still tell you it is illegal, remember, when they work on your car they do not know what you will do with it, it is not up to them. they will say it is a track car only and if you drive it it is on you.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssfast99
it is the same thing as summit, they know the illegal parts are going to california but they still tell you it is illegal, remember, when they work on your car they do not know what you will do with it, it is not up to them. they will say it is a track car only and if you drive it it is on you.
Well, its not illegal to actually OWN headers, you can buy 50 at one time and Cops wont come in busting through your door to confiscate them. Its just illegal to have them on a operating vehicle that is registered and needs emission requirements to be on the road.

Alot of my buddies, including myself just drive up to the shop to have work done and once its completed, we drive off and thats that. And the shop makes me sign a waiver saying it is now a race car...... but a race car as defined by the sponsor is a vehicle which is not registered in any state, has no license plate, and is trailered to and from the shop. Our cars are registered, have license plates and are not trailered there, and the shop owners know that our cars are going to be used on the streets.

I guess the loop hole is that the Government cant prove that the shop knew the car was going to be used on the streets. The shop can just say "I knew the car was registered/licensed but the owner of the car said after I would perform the work, he was going to specifically make it a race car".

I just hope the Government doesnt come up with a new way of surveillance and makes it utterly impossible to have shops do this kind of work.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shhh they're listening.

Join AAP and support the cause before it's too late!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Well, its not illegal to actually OWN headers, you can buy 50 at one time and Cops wont come in busting through your door to confiscate them. Its just illegal to have them on a operating vehicle that is registered and needs emission requirements to be on the road.

Alot of my buddies, including myself just drive up to the shop to have work done and once its completed, we drive off and thats that. And the shop makes me sign a waiver saying it is now a race car...... but a race car as defined by the sponsor is a vehicle which is not registered in any state, has no license plate, and is trailered to and from the shop. Our cars are registered, have license plates and are not trailered there, and the shop owners know that our cars are going to be used on the streets.

I guess the loop hole is that the Government cant prove that the shop knew the car was going to be used on the streets. The shop can just say "I knew the car was registered/licensed but the owner of the car said after I would perform the work, he was going to specifically make it a race car".

I just hope the Government doesnt come up with a new way of surveillance and makes it utterly impossible to have shops do this kind of work.

As before mentioned. Stipulations like that are just b.s. Do you really think that every major performance shop, foreign or domestic, accross California is gonna shut us out? That's 10's of millions in business lost. That's families that don't get fed.

And exhaust shops are like smog shops. It's don't ask, don't tell. If a person doesn't have "connects" than don't even bother getting into the performance game. And just for the record, *** the EPA. There's a lot worse things going on in the world's environment than whether or not I have cats on my car.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Banned

SICK MY IMPALA IS A RACE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry i just wanted to say that
Old 06-04-2008, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT Chevyboy
And just for the record, *** the EPA. There's a lot worse things going on in the world's environment than whether or not I have cats on my car.
True, I could understand if a vehicle was spewing black smoke all over the place but i dont think NOT having cats is going to kills any species or harm the whole universe.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

one of my last wishes if im dying of a disease is to tell every EPA ******* to go **** themselves.

then the designer of the LT1...
Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6_Suicide_Machine

^^^^

freaking badass. time for some sponsorship now

oh and if you get pulled over now make sure you tell the copper that you were speeding because its a race car!!!

Last edited by BeemerZ28; 06-04-2008 at 03:10 AM. Reason: funny
Old 06-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BeemerZ28
^^^^

freaking badass. time for some sponsorship now

oh and if you get pulled over now make sure you tell the copper that you were speeding because its a race car!!!
I shoulda said that^^^
it was alot funnier than mine

but that would be some funny ****.
Cop: Why were you going 100 in a 50?
Me: Cuz Ryne Cunningham said my impalas a race car... VROOM VROOM!
Cop: Whos ryan Cunningham?
Me: Hand him a Business card then bone out. LOL
Old 06-04-2008, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

at muffler shops the way you word things make a differance. when i went to the muffler shop I told them the exhaust was leaking and i needed it welded up. he said my car was not smog leagal, then I said well my exhaust leak could leak into the car and cause me to pass out from the fumes so I needed them welded up for safty, he then said ok
lol lol lol
Old 06-04-2008, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

lol
Old 06-04-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Cop: Why were you going 100 in a 50?
Me: Cuz Ryne Cunningham said my impalas a race car... VROOM VROOM!
Cop: Whos ryan Cunningham?
Me: Hand him a Business card then bone out. LOL

Quick Reply: Is It Illegal for Performance Shops to Perform work on our Cars?