Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s13 240sx ls1,ls2 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s13 240sx ls1,ls2 swap questions

im a newb on this forum sorry if this has been asked before but i searched and couldnt find any strong information to answer all my questions. i have a alot of questions so i'll just number them. first though i'll give you alil background on my project. i have a 1993 s13 and i used to have a 340whp sr20 in it but after many tuning issuses and a snapped rocker i decided to fix it and sell it. i decided to do a ls1 or ls2 depeding on the motor i find at a good price first.

anyway sorry about the essay. i researched and decided to go with the daft innovations kit mount #3 http://www.daftinnovations.com/s13ls1/index.html

in the intrest of saving money i wanted to do everything myself and i have a few questions about the swap still. here goes

1. i heard there are 5-6 wires that i'd need to do to get the car running? and do i need to get the ecu reflashed to remove the vats? i diagram would be nice. the wiring makes me cry at night haha

2. what do i do about the clutch master? slave? and lines? will the 240sx one work?

3. if i bought a ls1 which year, or years has more power?

4. would the ls2 be worth the extra money? or should i just put cams in the ls1 and minor bolt ons? my goal is 400whp

5. why is the t56 trans talked about so much is it worth it? all i know its the vette trans

6. if i bought a ls1,2 out of a truck or suv, like trailblaser ss, siverado, esclade etc. what differances are there? will it still fit? and i dont want an iron block!

i think thats it but there maybe more i'll post them if i think of any. thankyou for all your help.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

1. True little wiring to make it run. ECU must be flashed or car wont run.
2. Wilwood 3/4 Bore master with Russel Fitting slave adapter and custom line
3. 98 lowest power any of the others vary by minimal numbers
4. Just put a cam in the LS1 youll make 400
5. T56 is not just the vette transmission. Actually you cant even use the vette T56. T56 you will need is from a camaro or any of the non torque tube GM cars (ex. GTO). T56 is well liked because its pretty strong, 6 speed and helps with Gas mileage.
6. Accessories, Intake, ECU, Wiring, and Transmission are all different.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:41 PM

thanks alot man you were a big help. i noticed daft innov. will re flash your ecu and do the wiring harness if you send it to them and pay 300$ is that worth it? and thanks i'll just try and find one out of a camaro. oh and last arnt all ls1 tannys 6-speed except the automatics?
Old 06-04-2008, 12:45 PM

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/006-...VAMC/index.asp

this the wilwood one your talkin about?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

www.silviav8forums.com is a great source for most of the chassis specific information your seek.

Also remember that both ls1tech and silviav8 have search functions. If you really do plan on doing this yourself you need to become an adept user of this feature. You will find that many if not all of your questions have already been addressed, often with multiple solutions.

Look into making the mounts yourself, they are incredibly simple and often not worth what some companies are asking for them.

Last edited by NoClassic; 06-04-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:45 PM

thanks man. i joined that forum too.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

PXRdriFT also has a mounting kit for a reasonable price and wiring service cheap
Old 06-04-2008, 11:14 PM

im pretty sure each kit is pretty much the same but which has the best reputation? engine sits lowest? and furthest back? i dont care if i have to hammer the firewall alittle. and which one is the best quality?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:41 AM

anyone? i saw on ruth'lessdet's car the motor is pretty far back and he had to make his own shifter hole. will i have to do this with the kits? or do i have to make my own stuff to get the motor that far back?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Teching In

I've been researching this stuff for a while

IMO Sikky has the best kit... they have CNCed engine mounts which IMO is much higher quality than the welded mounts you'd get with one of the other kits/one you'd build yourself.

Also instead of making you use a GTO oil pan (which from what I've heard sucks if you plan on doing a lot of road racing/drifting) and cutting away the sub frame (which also sucks because you're cutting out structural rigidity) they make a custom oil pan which holds 7.2QT of oil with baffles and traps to help prevent oil starvation on hard corners... and it fits over the sub frame with no modifications.

They're also the most expensive kit but for $1700 you get
-oil pan
-oil filter relocation kit
-cnced engin mounts (solid or with a eurothane cushion)
-transmission mount & cross member
-single piece steel driveshaft ($200 upgrade for aluminum)

once you consider that with other kits you'll have to buy a GTO oil pan and a drive shaft and this kit leaves your cross member firewall and tranny tunnel in tact I think it's worth the cash

They only have it for the S14 right now but they're working on an s13 kit

the Sikky Kit: http://sikky.com/products/mount_kits/ls1__s14_240sx

my #2 choice would be the PX Racing kit... they do cross member modification like most of the other kits but their prices are the cheapest and their quality looks fantastic... They also have an S14 kit and are working on an S13 kit.
The PX Racing kit: http://shop.pxracing.com/main.sc

I've spoken with techs from both companies... and both of them really have their stuff together... I will say that the PX guys are a lot quicker to respond and take the time to answer stuff the best they can while the Sikky guys seem to only want to tell you things on a need-to-know basis... both kits look quality though.

--------------
Other considerations

-You will need Power steering conversion lines (PX racing sells these for ~$100)
-You will need AC conversion lines (PX racing BUILDS these for $450, I've heard it's not too difficult to build your own though)
-You will need to use a 240sx spec Walbro fuel pump. and replace your factory filter with one for a 98+ Corvette (this has a pressure regulator built in) I've heard that they go for ~$45 at most auto parts stores
-You'll need a better radiator and some custom radiator hoses, electric fan etc.
-you'll need to find compatible headers that will clear the steering column and expect to build or have a shop build at least a custom y-pipe

------------------
Shifter location:
All of the kits I've seen place the shifter in the proper location...

I think the reason RUTH'LESSDET's shifter was so far back is because he's using a GTO engine&trans instead of a set out of a Camaro or firebird... IIRC the shifter is located further back on the GTO...

Last edited by twistedsymphony; 06-09-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

one thing that is the biggest pain in the *** for S-chassis is the headers.
Hinson's are over $900
DIY varies, but you have to know how to do it.
Shorties work, but give **** sound.

its all about what you want.

Quick Reply: s13 240sx ls1,ls2 swap questions