General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

battery going dead

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default battery going dead

Any of you guys let your car sit a long time without starting it? How long before the battery drains? I need to see if i have something draining my battery mine will go dead after a week or so. I'll have to see if something is drawing power while the car is off. Another thing is i don't drive it much And my fans stay on for 2 min after i shut the engine off so that might be it too.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring the battery somewhere and get a free load test. Unless you have an overheating issue the fans should turn off with the ignition...although they can be programmed to stay on longer.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there is a way to see how much parasitic draw you have, see if you can get a multimeter an turn it to amps, un hook the positive from the battery, hold or clamp the red lead to the positive wire, then hold or clamp the black lead to the positive terminal on the battery. make sure all your doors are closed an the key is off, look to see how much drain you have. if i remember correctly it shouldn't be much more than .2 amps--if you have an excessive amount something is drawing power.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by dave70
Any of you guys let your car sit a long time without starting it? How long before the battery drains? I need to see if i have something draining my battery mine will go dead after a week or so. I'll have to see if something is drawing power while the car is off. Another thing is i don't drive it much And my fans stay on for 2 min after i shut the engine off so that might be it too.
+1 on having the battery tested. If its 3-5 years old, it may be time for a new one.

- If the battery is a sealed unit, check to see if the green "eye" is lit up. If not, its bad - get a new one. (Only sealed units will have the indicator.)

- If the battery is not a sealed unit, check the fluid level inside. If the fluid is below the lead plates, add some distilled water until the plates are covered. (This will give you back some capacity.)
Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks i have a load tester the battery is good. the test with the multimeter i haven't done yet. But I've don it b-4 on other cars i used the neg wire though. And the fans staying on was done by my tuner to help cool the engine between passes. I was just asking how many people let there cars sit for long periods of time and how long the batt. will last just sitting. thanks guys