General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

seafoam ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default seafoam ?

i added half of bottle into where the oil goes. but in the thread it says to run it for about 100miles. Do i need to run it for 100 miles or can i let it run then change the oil. I just dont know if its going to hurt anything if i run it for 100 miles or more.

thanks
Old 06-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Launching!

want to pull it back out dont run till till next change
you will get alot more out of seafoam when it is run thru the intake
Old 06-04-2008, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=seafoam

This is a nice rightup. Hope it helps!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive read that but i just dont know if its ok to run it when added to the oil for more than 100 miles. i just dont want it to gunk up and get to thick then ruin the motor
Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned

SEAFOAM , THE MANUFACTURER OF THE PRODUCT says to run it for one hour in the oil.
No where in the manufacturers instructions says to run it 100 miles, thats a random number someone here came up with. I guess based on the theory that if a little is good more must be better. I wouldn't even drive it with that in the oil.
Now lets see what our Seafoam has to say about it. There are two BTW.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
SEAFOAM , THE MANUFACTURER OF THE PRODUCT says to run it for one hour in the oil.
No where in the manufacturers instructions says to run it 100 miles, thats a random number someone here came up with. I guess based on the theory that if a little is good more must be better. I wouldn't even drive it with that in the oil.
Now lets see what our Seafoam has to say about it. There are two BTW.
didnt realize you had a diesel.....
the diesel instructions show 1 hour

couldnt find an accurate time anywhere for gas
i dont use it to flush the engine I only use it in the intake and fuel tank

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6']['9
ive read that but i just dont know if its ok to run it when added to the oil for more than 100 miles. i just dont want it to gunk up and get to thick then ruin the motor
Listen man, pour two full cans into the oil before you change the oil. Let it idle there for about 15 minutes. Drain the old oil and put new oil in. You're done. I've been doing this for 5 years with my 427ci and my engine is perfect after 5 years.

Or, screw the Seafoam, just buy two cans (bottles) of any engine cleaner fluid and do the same exact thing, it'll do the same job.

More detailed what I do:
I put my front end up on ramps. I drain about 2 quarts of old oil out. Then add the 2 quarts of engine cleaner or two bottles of seafoam. I use engine cleaner because its two full quarts. Run it for about 10-15 minutes at idle. I drain it all out. Then I put 4 quarts of regular oil back in and run that for 5 minutes. Then I drain it and fill it up again with regular oil, change the filter and I'm done.

(Call it what you will, I have 45,000 miles on my 427ci and its running like day one. )
Old 06-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6']['9
i added half of bottle into where the oil goes. but in the thread it says to run it for about 100miles. Do i need to run it for 100 miles or can i let it run then change the oil. I just dont know if its going to hurt anything if i run it for 100 miles or more.

thanks
Heres an answer from the manufacturer.

Sea Foam Motor Treatment used in Crankcase Oil
All Gasoline and Diesel, Rotary style engines

Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a Blended Petroleum Product, NOT A CHEMICAL and is widely used as an old oil residue cleaner and moisture drier in any oil crankcase.

Sea Foam Motor Treatment is most commonly used as a pre service, old oil residue re-liquefier / cleaner and moisture drier, and is also used as an after service additive. Sea Foam Motor Treatment does NOT add significantly to oil volume, so removing oil is NOT required for use, when used according to printed directions on the product container.

1. As a PRE SERVICE CLEANER for old oil residue, (sticky rings or valve train noise), pour 1 ½ ounces of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the engine oil crankcase for EACH quart of crankcase oil capacity including filter. (Diesels use 1 pint Sea Foam to 4 gallons of oil, please.) Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 100 miles, and then do your oil change service (LOF). This is the process of safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. This also makes your old oil dirtier, quickly, so a LOF service is necessary when the oil gets dirty. Great for Turbocharged & Supercharged applications where hot oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, and leaves those residues that NEED CLEANING. (LOF = Lube oil & Filter service = OIL CHANGE).

2. As an AFTER SERVICE ADDITIVE into fresh oil, nearly fresh oil, or oil (used condition) that is NOT ready to be changed (by mileage), put 1 ½ ounces Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the crankcase per quart of capacity as described above, then SELF SET a program to MONITOR your oil for level, color and clarity on a mileage, timed, or event basis (like every time you add fuel, etc.) to determine when an oil service is necessary. (LOF) When the oil gets dirty, CHANGE IT!

Sea Foam Motor Treatment will safely and slowly re liquefy old oil residue, This will make your oil need changing BEFORE your normal scheduled LOF service. Only your monitoring of the oil for color and clarity can tell when it is time to do LOF - oil change service, or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Synthetic oils, both blends and 100%, were engineered and are manufactured to be 100% compatible with petroleum based oils, all brands, and vice/versa. Without compatibility, oil manufacturers and engineers would be liable for the results of mixing non-compatible lubricants.

Check your oil; monitor its level, color & clarity to determine need for LOF service!
Change your oil when it gets dirty!

Technical Services Department May 2008 DD
Old 06-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
SEAFOAM ,THE MANUFACTURER OF THE PRODUCT says to run it for one hour in the oil.
Originally Posted by Seafoam Tech
As a PRE SERVICE CLEANER for old oil residue
Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 100 miles
Good to know.......
Old 06-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drove about 80 miles on the seafoam in my crankcase and the oil came out dark as night! after doing that the oil stayed clear for a much longer period of time!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Topless TA
the diesel instructions show 1 hour

couldnt find an accurate time anywhere for gas

I could