Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

I'm such an idiot - what is this going to cost me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm such an idiot - what is this going to cost me?

I finally finished installing my new Moser rear end today. I worked till around 9:30 pm to get it done so I could bring it up to the shop where I work tomorrow. Getting ready to put my new 402 in this weekend. After I'm done working on the car I go to the car wash and wash it up so it will look nice while I'm working on it in the shop.

Anyway, I didn't want to drive it down my dirt driveway so I pull in and park it in the grass out in front of the house. This is the same spot I usually back my truck into when turning around... So I go inside and get ready to go to bed. Around 11pm my g/f calls and wants me to come over so I go out and get in my truck and without thinking I start backing out and whip the truck into the spot where I normally turn around About the time I turned the wheel I remembered the car was parked there. I locked up the brakes and still nailed the back bumper of the car. Didn't hurt the truck at all from what I can tell. It hit bumper to bumper.

The bumper on the car is slightly tweeked from what I can see in the dark. The "dent" poped out but the paint where it got hit is spider webbed and flaking off. I'm pretty much broke from buying all the engine parts. What do you guys think it would cost me to have this fixed?

I'm really **** about the way my car looks and I hate the idea of just getting the bumper painted. The paint on the car looks a little faded and I doubt they could match it up just right. Any idea what it would cost to get my body kit molded on and get the whole car repainted the same color?

Old 06-06-2008, 12:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smooth move!

But you'll have to call around.. since you want something a little bit more custom, I'd look into a custom shop that normally does work on hotrods or lowriders, etc.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

whole car repaint will run you around 4k
Old 06-06-2008, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't need the whole car repainted. I'd think a good shop could tint the paint to get it to match pretty good.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

if you can sand it yourself, id say approximately $350-450 for bumper re-paint..
Old 06-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Teching In

dang. since your strapped for cash just get the bumper painted and hold off for a total paint job. bout 3 or 4 bills i think.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just checked it out today in good light and it is not as bad as I thought it was. I thought the bumper was tweeked but I think it was just my exhaust. I got up under the car and tryed to straiten it and now it looks better than before.

I think all it really needs is the bumper/rear ground effect repainted. I'm thinking about waiting a few months and getting a really nice pain job. I'm able to save around 1500$ a month. I'm just broke right now because I spent about 15k on my engine and supercharger upgrades.

I really want to get rid of the stripes and get some true fire / ghost flames painted dark blue/silver on top of a nice fresh coat of the blackest wet looking black you can get. I just don't know of anyone that can do custom work like that and I don't want to pay 5k to have it look like lobster claws. I don't know...I'm still bummed.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

just for a GOOD complete reshoot it would cost you like 4000-8000 depending on your area and the shops quality. id get a quote from a few shops to reshoot it then contact someone to find about custom stuff.

heres a little story of my own so dont feel bad. well i knew the car was hit before(before i owned it) but i figured the previous owner woulda had the shop pull the rear frame rail. well i get all the body work done on the quarter because whoever did it before did a crap job. well i go to take off the rear cover reinforcement so that i can sand blast the rear body panel and lone behold a crushed frame rail is staring in my face. now i have to stick it on the rack and all the body works probablly gunna crack and i have to redo it. oh well all you can say is you learn from experiances and **** happens weather you like it or not. this also delayed me from getting my cage put it.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Launching!

You shouldn't have problems with color match if the person that does it knows what they ore doing, they shouldn't have to basecoat the whole bumper(Blend within panel) then clear it. Have it fixed and then have the car buffed out, it will brighten up the paint to better match the shiney new bumper.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol **** that sux bro!!! i hope you'll find a good cheap shop!!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Regular

Well since the rest of the car has paint that is perfectly fine, I say just get the bumper and ground effects redone. Unless its a custom paint job that is very modest or just slightly noticable, they usually look cheesey IMO
Old 06-23-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by krobinson123
Well since the rest of the car has paint that is perfectly fine, I say just get the bumper and ground effects redone. Unless its a custom paint job that is very modest or just slightly noticable, they usually look cheesey IMO
The roof of the car looks like crap. Bubbles everywhere. I've already got a quote of 1500$ to get the roof replaced. Add on the bumber and ground effects. I figured it wouldn't be much more to just have the whole car sprayed. As far as custom stuff goes. I just wanted the ground effects molded in and I wanted some really faint "true fire/ghost flames" dark blue flames with maybe a faint silver to them. I only wanted it to be noticeable if you are looking for it.

Quick Reply: I'm such an idiot - what is this going to cost me?