Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Z06 oil in the intake issue:

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Z06 oil in the intake issue:

The Dry-sump tank is part of the LS7's crankcase ventalation system as the filtered fresh air for crankcase makeup & flushing comes from the airbridge, runs to the dry-sump tank, then to the plumbing going to each valve cover & the gasses & vapors are vented & drawn through the vally cover (as in all the GenIV designs) where they are pulled into the intake to be burned in the combustion process & exhaust.

The same problem exists today as has since the first LS1 engines hit the road.....a PCV system that allows for some oil mist/vapor to enter the intake & contaminate the intake air charge resulting in a less complete combustion process & the resulting carbon build-up on the valves & pistons robbing power & causing detonation to an extent.

Above are pictures of the bellows & the inside of the intake showing the amount (this Z has 10k miles on it).

Road course guy's already know of the issue since they run at extended periods of high RPM's causing this to be even more evident.

RevXtreme is designing a complete easy to install kit using our 1 Qt oil seperating catch can with integrated PCV check valve & the correct plumbing with additional check valves that will allow the flow to run in one direction only & relocating the filtered fresh air source to a seperate remote breather eliminating this issue.

Stay tuned for pic's of the finished kit & pricing.

Update!

Below is the oil seperator/catch w/built in PCV check valve can installed:

The stock valve cover lines stay intact:

Using the OEM fitting of the line originally run to the air coupler, the line is removed for this mod & is attached to the new line running forward to the remote breather :

Remote breather mounted in the pass frnt corner of AC condensor. This also has an integrated PCV check vale to prevent back-flow:

So far zero oil in the intake & zero oil mist from the breather. No smelly fumes either.

Have not run it hard to really test it, but so far excellent results.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How will this setup perform with a F/I setup? I need to call you about my specific problem with my setup because of the Kenne Bell.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redrumss
How will this setup perform with a F/I setup? I need to call you about my specific problem with my setup because of the Kenne Bell.
A little different set-up for the FI applications, but with the same good results.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good guy here. Sold me a catch can for my C5 and love it. Works good and no oil into the intake anymore

Quick Reply: Z06 oil in the intake issue: