Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Looking for a little help w/OFI cold piping

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for a little help w/OFI cold piping

Just wanted to see how everyone was doing the cold side of the OFI kit. I'm running the T6 kit with their 4" intercooler and not having much luck. I've searched through the pics but can't really find anything from under the front showing how everything should go. Also is anyone running the kit with an
LS2 intake? Here's what I'm running into:

Pipe from turbo to intercooler(shaped like a U) It's way too long on each end. I need to cut probably 10" off each end but I think it SHOULD fit. There is a little offset in this piece. Does it go up over the air deflector?

Up pipe to the TB is about 5" too long and will need cut. This put the BOV right against the TB coupler. Does this pipe go down through the hole under the fuse boxes?

Pipe out of the intercooler. I can't see any way to get it to connect to the up pipe. The closest I can get is 3" or so.

Where does the 2nd silicone 90* go? I have one on the outlet of the turbo.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Last edited by theblur98ss; 06-07-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does this help any?
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a little help w/OFI cold piping-ofi-3.jpg  
Old 06-07-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

That's exactly what I was hoping for. My piece from the intercooler to the up pipe is different then yours though. I wonder if there have been some changes at one time to the kit.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

I asked this same question in one of your threads, no response.

I sent a PM to Joel about this same issue. I think we got the cold side stuff for the A2W setup or something. Anyway, here is the response back from Joel on how to fix it.

"Yes dan I looked at them. They are the roght pipes, but need to be shortned. I have some at the shop that I will take a pic of at show you. The one with the bov flange on it will need to be shornted where it goes threw the hole by the fuses. That connects to the snake looking one which might need shortened also. That goes to the intercooler then. The intercooler goes in the crash suport like the pics. The other one that looks like a up and down hill needs to be cut also. That pipe you have is also used for the a2w water setup, but can work for the a2a. You will have to cut it at the begining of the 90 and put it together at the 45. I will get you pics of that. Let me know if you have any questions.Sorry about that. Those should have been cut. You dont need that extra silicone 90. You can sell it there about $45."

In other words, cut, weld and re-do it . BTW, I'm still waiting for the pics from Joel at two weeks now, if i get them I'll send them to you as well.

ls2 bait, did you just make all new cold side piping? it looks nothing like mine:

Old 06-08-2008, 05:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DanZ28
ls2 bait, did you just make all new cold side piping? it looks nothing like mine:
its not my car it was a pic i saved when i was looking to do the kit myself. ill try and find out whos car it is-i forgot his screen name.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

LS2Camaro is his name. has a viper in his signature.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

My cold side looks just like yours Dan except mine doesn't have the flange deal on the end of the pipes. I'd love to see some pics also. Did Joel offer to swap out your pieces? Cutting shouldn't be a super huge issue as long as I do it in the right place but I'm not sure about the welding part.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

man you are having the worse luck with his kit,ive seen all the issues that you have with joel and his kit which lead me to a different sponsor....
Old 06-08-2008, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
My cold side looks just like yours Dan except mine doesn't have the flange deal on the end of the pipes. I'd love to see some pics also. Did Joel offer to swap out your pieces? Cutting shouldn't be a super huge issue as long as I do it in the right place but I'm not sure about the welding part.
Yeah, I had mine bead rolled myself, but was a waste since I would have to cut them off now. That PM I posted was all I got from Joel, no replacement option. If it's just cutting, no big deal, but the pipes coming from either side of the intercooler don't come close to fitting the turbo or the intake pipe so welding is a must in my case. Chances are these ones will go in the scrap pile while I make or have new ones made. I'm not happy about that, but wtf is guy to do?
Old 06-08-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by trans2000am
man you are having the worse luck with his kit,ive seen all the issues that you have with joel and his kit which lead me to a different sponsor....
Once my kit is 100% installed and running I'm gonna do an OFI review post with lots of pics. I plan to include the good, bad and the ugly. This will be done from the point of view of an average car guy with good mechanical skills doing the install of a turbo 'kit'. I will say that quality has NOT been an issue but there have been many hang ups along the way.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
LS2Camaro is his name. has a viper in his signature.
I remember his build now, thanks for that info. Looking at the pic, looks like he made his own.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Semi good news...I was able to cut the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler and it fits. here's a pic of it and the water pump pipe and how much I had to cut. I threw in a few other pics to see if it's the same as what you have Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a little help w/OFI cold piping-turbo-fuck-up-003.jpg   Looking for a little help w/OFI cold piping-turbo-fuck-up-004.jpg   Looking for a little help w/OFI cold piping-turbo-fuck-up-005.jpg   Looking for a little help w/OFI cold piping-turbo-fuck-up-007.jpg   Looking for a little help w/OFI cold piping-turbo-fuck-up-008.jpg  

Old 06-08-2008, 07:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Here are some pics of the cold piping and how it goes. This is on a Lt1 car but they are the same piping. You will have to cut your piping just like dan does. Thye were sent out longer so could have room to adjust to what you need to do. I can send you one that are cut if you want. The pipes now come bead rolled and cut to fit. That second 90 you are not suppose to use. It got sent by mistake.

Dan I thought I sent you the pics of these already? I also offered to send you other ones ,but you said you would just cut them. Again the offer still stands if you want to.

Thanks Joel
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a little help w/OFI cold piping-photo2.jpg   Looking for a little help w/OFI cold piping-photo1.jpg   Looking for a little help w/OFI cold piping-photo.jpg  
Old 06-08-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
does this help any?
Hey what kind of fans are those??
Old 06-08-2008, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Joel, thanks for posting up. Only thing I got from you though was the PM I pasted above. With that, I didn't see an option to replace them nor did I say I would cut them, it was more of a "I need to cut them " statement reply back to you.

I was looking at your pics you posted. That snake looking one is quite different in that yours has a 90 deg bend on the one end where mine is more like a 120 deg bend in it, even if I trim it i'm not seeing it fitting, the angle is wrong. The U-shaped piece is quite different to in that it is narrower, so it would need to be cut and welded together. The last piece, from the TB, looks like it can be trimmed though if it's just shorter.

If your offereing to replace them though, how long before I get the new ones? This would be the deciding factor in it for me as I can't wait weeks at this point. BTW, i'm in no way trying to flame you here Joel, just seems like a couple of us with the sam issue that i would like to see sorted. The Hot side fit and looks excellent!

theblur98ss, I didn't mean to get your thread side tracked with my problem, sorry, at least it's the same problem .
Yours looks like it lines up better than mine on that one side, but pics are little hard to see. Mine are inches off on both sides from lining up.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same issue as well. in totaly ive hacked about a foot in totaly off of the 3 charge pipes and just now are they starting to clear ever thing *inside the front bumper on the drivers side where it comes up itno the TB charge pipe* fitting issues as far as ive looked. and ive spent a very long time looking are very commen with OFI. quailty is amazing but you really need to spend a lot of time to make it fit the "way its sapose to" i have an lt1 air to air kit thats 90% of the way done if any one needs pictures of any thing id be happy to post some up and try to help becuse i know how much of a **** of it is to have this much money into some thing and then spend even more time making some thing that should just fit, fit right
Old 06-08-2008, 10:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Dan all those pipes that you have posted in your pic are the right ones. Do you have the intercooler in the right spot as this pic?

I have some pipes in stock for the cold side, but those are the right ones.

Let me know.

Thanks Joel
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a little help w/OFI cold piping-img_0289.jpg   Looking for a little help w/OFI cold piping-img_0287.jpg  
Old 06-08-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Pics may help out. I have my intercooler more forward in the bumper. How will it get any air mounted like in the pic though? I'd do some more checking tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DanZ28

theblur98ss, I didn't mean to get your thread side tracked with my problem, sorry, at least it's the same problem .
Yours looks like it lines up better than mine on that one side, but pics are little hard to see. Mine are inches off on both sides from lining up.
No problem buddy. This has turned into a very informative post that should help others. Did you have an exhaust shop do the bead roll on your pipes? How much is it to have done. Looks like a great idea?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tt427ls1
Dan all those pipes that you have posted in your pic are the right ones. Do you have the intercooler in the right spot as this pic?

I have some pipes in stock for the cold side, but those are the right ones.

Let me know.

Thanks Joel
Well, my IC is a little farther forword as I didn't know you had to weld on tabs and push it toward te radiator like that, the other pics I seen show the front of that bumper support completely cut out and mounted to the top piece of it.

I'll try one more time to fit it up and see if it will work with cutting. If not, I'll let you know.

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
No problem buddy. This has turned into a very informative post that should help others. Did you have an exhaust shop do the bead roll on your pipes? How much is it to have done. Looks like a great idea?
Yeah, I had a speed/fab shop do it for me, not sure on the cost though. It's definately a good idea to get done, lot less chance of blowing a hose off.

BTW, what IC are you using?