Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC stage 3? or stage 3+?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SPEC stage 3? or stage 3+?

I've got 555 RWTQ, in my Z28 in my sig. I have the SPEC 3 and love it, but its time for a new clutch and was wondering if the stage 3 was really enough? Also, I have heard the 3+ was great to drive (better than just the stage 3), can anyone vouch for that?

SPEC's website quote's the stage 3 at 762, and the 3+ at 845. My clutch is about 2-3 years old, and I thought my stage 3 was much less than that when I got it?

Any info, or opinions weclomed.

NOTE* If the stage 3 would really work, its about $150 cheeper, and I would like to save money here if it will be needles for something I don't necissarily need.

*EDIT as of 9-14-08* This thread came about when I thought the clutch was done due to a buddy doing a burnout with slicks outside of the burnout box at the track, and the clutch "feeling odd". After letting it cool down, and taking it easy for the trip home and weeks after, I now understand that the clutch is actually still holding up (and pretty strong at that). I'm not saying it will continue to hold repeated slick runs, however it hooks on the street hard with DR's, and have been beating the snot out of it since the original post with no issues at all!

Last edited by CALL911; 09-14-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spec 3+ for sure here. I have less HP than you and went through my Spec 3 pretty easily. Only lasted 2k miles. I purchased on Oz700 this time around.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Did you break it in to their specifications? It just seems to me that if I have 555 RWTQ, and the stage 3 is rated at 762, that should be overkill as it is shouldn't it?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

I did stop and go traffic for about 400 miles. Although I could have been unlucky to. But it did hook great at first. Then went down hill from there after I took it to the track a couple times. But for a street car I am sure it would work out fine.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Well, their break in period is at least 500 in town miles with no WOT, so that may be a reason it is wearing pre-maturely.

Mine is a street car, but it also sees the track with its 614 RWHP and 555 RWTQ with slicks about a half dozen times a year. I want the clutch that will take that abuse and not wear out quickly for me, but I also don't want a clutch that is overkill for my car (mostly I don't want to spend the extra $ if I don't really need to, but if I need to for the proper clutch I will).
Old 06-09-2008, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

I say since you do take it to the track just spend the extra on the spec 3+ for peace of mind. I think in the long run you will be more happy with it. The difference is about 100$ or so from EPP I think.

Also, where in Indiana are you located? I want to know this so if I see a LT1 Z28 like yours I steer clear of it lol.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

I'm in between EPP's location in Columbia City, and Ft. Wayne (about 45 minutes southeast of Plymouth).

Well I emailed SPEC last night, and talked to them today on the phone. When I spoke with their tech on the phone, he seemed more concerned with telling me that my driving habits, and something wrong with the clutch install, or something in my car like the flywheel could've caused it to go out this early. I really just wanted to know if the stage 3 was good enough for my car, or if I needed to go to a 3+. The email I recieved was much more to the point. Apparently SPEC as of 2007 re-did their clutches, and the stage 3 is now way overkill for my car, and should be much more durable than the one I had. The difference is actually about $150, so I'll probably just go with what I need instead of going WAY overkill and getting a stage 3+.

Getting a 3+ wouldn't really make the clutch last any longer than a stage 3 would unless the stage 3 I got was under-rated for my power level. This is the info I needed. I am posting this up so anyone else who may be in the same delima has some facts now.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3+ is a better design than the 3 and is worth the extra in my opinion.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:52 AM
TECH Addict

According to their email, the stage 3 is more than I need, and has been newly designed. I can't really justify spending the extra $150 for a clutch I don't really need when the stage 3 is more than I need as it is.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I vote neither of them. Whether its helpful to you or not. Although you may have had good luck with a spec once, Id rather not play Russian Roulette with something this important and labor intensive. Go Tex Z grip, you will thank yourself later.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
I vote neither of them. Whether its helpful to you or not. Although you may have had good luck with a spec once, Id rather not play Russian Roulette with something this important and labor intensive. Go Tex Z grip, you will thank yourself later.
I wasn't asking for opinions on different clutches. I have had SPEC clutches in the past and they've been great clutches. Not to mention there's nothing else that comes close to the power they hold for the money (nothing even close actually).
Old 06-10-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CALL911
I wasn't asking for opinions on different clutches. I have had SPEC clutches in the past and they've been great clutches. Not to mention there's nothing else that comes close to the power they hold for the money (nothing even close actually).
I understand the money thing and what they can do, But in the same respect the bad one you may get may cost you twice as much in the end. I have heard better things on the Spec 3 + so thats where Id go if it had to be spec. I just have a bitter taste in my mouth when it comes to Spec in general.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
I understand the money thing and what they can do, But in the same respect the bad one you may get may cost you twice as much in the end. I have heard better things on the Spec 3 + so thats where Id go if it had to be spec. I just have a bitter taste in my mouth when it comes to Spec in general.
Okay, but I don't and am not looking for different opinions for different clutches here. You chiming in telling me to go to a different clutch would be like someone asking about lower control arms in my thread. Both are off topic and have nothing to do with my specific question.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe you did not read my previous post, I explained why I chimed in with an opinion against the spec all together, than got back on your subject when I said I have heard better things from the 3+ as opposed to the 3. Im not here to hack up a thread that can be more useful if talked about clutches, not arguing.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

But you still are not understanding that I don't care about peoples opinions on SPEC clutches here, or idea's on different clutches to use for my car other than the 3 or 3+. If I did care, the thread would've been titled "what clutch should I get?", or "is buying a SPEC clutch a good idea?".

On the other topic, I have also heard people say the 3+ is better both power wise and driveability wise than the stage 3, however after talking to SPEC's tech's it seems as though their clutches have newly been updated, and hold more power for even longer, and the stage 3 will be overkill and then some for me. My mind is already made up on the stage 3.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

did the SPEC tech say exactly what the new 'improved" 3 is??

and why it is better?
Old 06-11-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ******
did the SPEC tech say exactly what the new 'improved" 3 is??

and why it is better?
Yes he did. Here's the email I received on the new SPEC stage 3;

"This latest version is well proven at 760 ft lbs and is leaps and bounds
beyond the 2005 version. The latest units (which began production in late
2006/early 2007) has a 360 degree cnc pivot pressure ring. Drivability is
still good, but they are simply much stronger and offer extended wear life."

Dave Norton
Old 06-11-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CALL911
Yes he did. Here's the email I received on the new SPEC stage 3;

"This latest version is well proven at 760 ft lbs and is leaps and bounds
beyond the 2005 version. The latest units (which began production in late
2006/early 2007) has a 360 degree cnc pivot pressure ring. Drivability is
still good, but they are simply much stronger and offer extended wear life."

Dave Norton
Nice bit of info thanks. Im happy the spec I bought was in febuary 08. It has the grab to send the rear wheels searching for traction quickly when I powershift as high as 3-4.around a 105. The first time made me and my friend jason a little suprised to say the least.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:56 PM
FormerVendor

Guys, I have been out of the office this week and, having checked the forums, I wanted to provide a little info. The stage 3 and stage 3+ will be fine for you. Stage 3+ will provide more capacity and drivability but seeing as how you never really had any issues with the stage 3 you are currently using it would be fine to go with another stage 3. Based on the info you provided, you won't overpower either of them. Keep in mind that a stage 3 will likely chatter more initialy...but even it will smooth out as break-in is acheived. Either way...you will be fine. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks and have a good weekend!
Old 06-15-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Guys, I have been out of the office this week and, having checked the forums, I wanted to provide a little info. The stage 3 and stage 3+ will be fine for you. Stage 3+ will provide more capacity and drivability but seeing as how you never really had any issues with the stage 3 you are currently using it would be fine to go with another stage 3. Based on the info you provided, you won't overpower either of them. Keep in mind that a stage 3 will likely chatter more initialy...but even it will smooth out as break-in is acheived. Either way...you will be fine. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks and have a good weekend!
Well, the last stage 3 I had didn't chatter at all, even right after the install driving it on mile #1.

Quick Reply: SPEC stage 3? or stage 3+?