Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some Y pipe advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need some Y pipe advice

I've had true duals ever since I've gotten the car and have recently pulled the motor and built it with mods in sig as well as a built trans and will be adding a 150 shot of nitrous in the near future as well to go with the forged internals. I went with a UMI tunnel mount and have found out that I'll have to have duals custom built, which is very pricey.

I also am tired of having the duals dumped. It's just too damn loud in the car and want something run out the back to quiet it down. So I am considering switching back to a good Ypipe setup. I know that I want to go with either a Corsa or GMMG catback and will have to have a Y pipe custom fabbed becasue of my QTP's which suck for fitting a ypipe to.

My big question deals with power loss. I am hoping to be between 400 and 450 NA and am afraid of restricting my power by going with a ypipe setup as opposed to the X pipe that I used to have. Some say that a good Y pipe setup will flow very well with very minimal power loss. Is this true? With my setup in sig will a ypipe setup hurt my power?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your just running a forged bottom with H/C/I right? If you want a ypipe setup, I would look at running a custom 3"-4" setup. Have it run 3 to the merge, get a flowmaster 3"-4" ypipe merge. Then run a 4" cutout after the merge and then run a pipe that is 4" on one side and merges down to 3" to connect to a decent catback like magnaflow or something else free-flowing. You could also go fully custom and run a full 4" system all the way back if you have a good shop to do the work. You can fit a 4" over the rear axle and just run it through a 4" magnaflow muffler or a borla if you like those.

From Sticky:
A 2.75” (stock) single system is good for a 310hp engine with zero loss…
A 3” Single system is good for a 370hp engine with zero loss…
A 3.5” Single system is good for a 503hp engine with zero loss…
A 4” Single system is good for a 657hp engine with zero loss…
A 2.25” dual system is good for a 457hp engine with zero loss…
A 2.5” dual system is good for a 513hp engine with zero loss…
A 3” dual system is good for a 812hp engine with zero loss…