Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final Modding...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Final Modding...

Ok. Well I am a 21 year old and my car in my sig is my DD. I have been working my *** off to get a really good street performance car out of it (overall).

Out of the handling portion of the car I just ordered this a few months back:

http://www.umiperformance.com/fbr002...=0&fq=0&manf=7

(And an adj. UMI Tq. Arm.)

On the braking dept. I'm about to get these:

http://www.umiperformance.com/produc...item_id=212021

So that leaves power. I currently have the mods in my sig, and will get an LS6 intake manifold sometime down the line. I am wodnering what most of you would do for only a bolt on car. I just want a little bit more. I will not add nitrous, cam (internals) etc etc. This will be my longer term DD and with gas prices etc I want to keep internals stock. Besides a ls6 intake and tune, what else would you do? I'm going to do all the bolt on mods suggested, then get a tune for it, then leave it be. I think you all know what I mean. I just want to know what else besides basic exhaust/intake there is to do, if even worth it.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

i know you say you want a bolt on only car but i think you should ditch the idea of the C5 brake conversion kit, you probably wont see a huge difference in braking. and get a cam in there. the stock brakes in this car are powerful enough as it is to be honest, and with the bolt ons you have now, the cam will probably put you at a bout 400 if you get the right one. just an option to throw out there. cam is about 400 bucks, read online and install it yourself, my brother and i are going to learn up on it and install mine in the future, then tune it.

just my .02
Old 06-08-2008, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I once was seriously contemplating a cam. But, I'm just looking into the future with the prices of everything and all, and I really don't want to get a cam. I also like the mileage I get with the car. I'm thinking of an LS6 intake and a tune and leave her be.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also about the brakes... I'm going to need new pads and rotors anyways, wouldn't it be not that much more?
Old 06-08-2008, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

As for the brakes...Im about in the same boat you are...by the time I buy rotors and pads I will pay a little more and have the larger brakes and better looks.

I dont really want to keep pushing a cam since you already said you dont want one...but unless you go big it wont make a difference. Guys with M6 cars and 224 cams are still getting 26 mpg, its all in how you drive. If you want to stay bolt ons...LS6 intake(or street warrior if it ever comes out, maybe even a FAST if its in your budget), a good tune and some yella terra rockers, maybe look into 1.8 ratio to give your current cam more lift.

I would go for a cam though...you wont regret it.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
As for the brakes...Im about in the same boat you are...by the time I buy rotors and pads I will pay a little more and have the larger brakes and better looks.

I dont really want to keep pushing a cam since you already said you dont want one...but unless you go big it wont make a difference. Guys with M6 cars and 224 cams are still getting 26 mpg, its all in how you drive. If you want to stay bolt ons...LS6 intake(or street warrior if it ever comes out, maybe even a FAST if its in your budget), a good tune and some yella terra rockers, maybe look into 1.8 ratio to give your current cam more lift.

I would go for a cam though...you wont regret it.
i wouldn't do a FAST on a stock cam street car. i'd wait to see how the street warriors do, but until then i'd stick with an LS6 for the price. on the stock cam, he wouldn't be getting into the rpms that you'd benefit from a FAST, would he?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

well i got my rotars and pads all brand new for about 170 and it works wonderfully. although i dont do any racing or autoxing so maybe you use your car differenctly.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

To add to your bolt-on list: LS6 Intake, UD pulley, free mods if you don't have them done already (not listed in your sig), P&P throttle body, 85mm MAF, and a tune oughta give you a stout bolt-on car and lose those heavy C6 wheels and get some light weight aluminum wheels to save some weight and gain a little more power. Just my opinion though.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I was about to get a 224 cam. I heard, on average, you lose 3 mpg with a mild cam like that?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

with a 226/230 cam I get about 23-24 mpg on the highway man in a 6 speed with 4.10's. Im sure Ide pull in abit more if I still had the 3.42's
Old 06-08-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can never go wrong with suspension mods. most of them are bolt on

I've seen a 11.8 car go to 11.1 from changing the stock suspension to decently modded ground game & better tires
Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blue98Z
To add to your bolt-on list: LS6 Intake, UD pulley, free mods if you don't have them done already (not listed in your sig), P&P throttle body, 85mm MAF, and a tune oughta give you a stout bolt-on car and lose those heavy C6 wheels and get some light weight aluminum wheels to save some weight and gain a little more power. Just my opinion though.
all that plus suspension and a new rear-end will keep you busy and in the mean time you can think about whether or not to cam it. the only other bolt on i can think of would be an electric water pump, but i could never justify paying for that unless my stock WP went out. and idk how much stock ones cost so maybe not even then.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think I'm going to get the intake and tune it and call it done. I love my car but I do have a cut off point, and I am not one to say I'll call it quits and then mod it later thinking I wouldn't have. I'd get a cam etc if I was serious about going to the strip etc but I DD it and will for a while. And with gas prices, I guess it won't hurt not getting a cam al least haha.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get an ls6 intake and a 25% ud pulley and a tune. That should get it done for you. 350ish hp and good gas mileage
Old 06-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

I would definitely do gears if you don't already have them. I see you have a M6 so i'd definitely get 4.10's, maybe even 4.30's or 4.56's. I just put 4.10's in my A4 and it feels like a different animal. It made a drastic difference and i love it. I'd also port the throttle body, as already mentioned.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

I'd do a 224 cam as well. Those are very good daily driver cams that yield impressive power.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
I would get an ls6 intake and a 25% ud pulley and a tune. That should get it done for you. 350ish hp and good gas mileage
I would get the UD pulley but my stereo (while compact and lightweight) sucks up the juice. When a bass drum kick hits hard, I can watch the volt needle bounce up and down a little bit.

I'm thinking porting the TB and getting an LS6 intake. I don't want a cam, and I like my 3.42s.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
I would get the UD pulley but my stereo (while compact and lightweight) sucks up the juice. When a bass drum kick hits hard, I can watch the volt needle bounce up and down a little bit.

I'm thinking porting the TB and getting an LS6 intake. I don't want a cam, and I like my 3.42s.
I have a pretty big system myself and i haven't had any problems with my ud pulley. So ls6 intake, ud pulley, ported tb and tune. Then call it quits. I would not get gears
Old 06-09-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

tune the car, pulley and if you get over the mpg , get some gears, i would not change your rims, its not like you are going for huge performance, its sonds like you want just a fun daily driver....
Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by davidadavila
tune the car, pulley and if you get over the mpg , get some gears, i would not change your rims, its not like you are going for huge performance, its sonds like you want just a fun daily driver....
Bingo. And I'm definitely keeping the wheels and tires, as I just bought them and the black chrome looks sinister on my appearance mods.

I'd look into the UD pulley again and see if I like the idea, as I also hear you can get a alt overdrive pulley as well.