Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What size air compressor for painting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What size air compressor for painting?

Real quick question, I've searched and haven't found anything on it, and the FAQ links didn't have much info on this either; all I saw was a good compressor is one that shoots 20 cfm at 90+ psi, but I don't feel like spending $2,000 on one.

Will a 30 gallon tank work? Here's the link for the Craigslist ad...

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/711261567.html

It says 5.5 hp, but also 1.7 hp, so I'm not sure which one it is; I'm checking it out later today when I go back up to Raleigh. Would 5.5 hp be good enough to spray a car? Would 1.7 be too weak? Any info would be great. Thanks
Old 06-08-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

That one should be fine for JUST running a spray gun. If you want to run body tools, then forget it. I had the biggest Craftsman Pro single stage compressor made, and it struggled with tools like an air file. You really need a 2 stage for stuff like that. The Craftsman ones usually run less than a grand...especially when you catch them on sale.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

cool; thanks. something like an air wrench wouldn't work well with this?

if anyone else has an opinion then please share
Old 06-08-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He's correct. If it's just for paint you'll be fine. You should never need anything more than 35-40 psi with spray guns. Air tools however can run anywhere from 90-120 psi. If you try to run that high of a pressure with a small tank the compressor won't be able to keep up. If you plan to run air tools, you'll need one a bit bigger than that.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thats about the size of mine and it works fine .
Old 06-08-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

my buddy has a 60 gallon and it barely keeps up with the air tools.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

I have a 28 gallon 6.25hp compressor that I got at Lowe's, it works fine for paint and most air tools. The only time it ever has problems keeping up is with my DA, orbital, and grinders if I use them constantly for an extended period. If you look on the top of the compressor it will tell you which tools it is rated to work with.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmmullin
Real quick question, I've searched and haven't found anything on it, and the FAQ links didn't have much info on this either; all I saw was a good compressor is one that shoots 20 cfm at 90+ psi, but I don't feel like spending $2,000 on one.

Will a 30 gallon tank work? Here's the link for the Craigslist ad...

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/711261567.html

It says 5.5 hp, but also 1.7 hp, so I'm not sure which one it is; I'm checking it out later today when I go back up to Raleigh. Would 5.5 hp be good enough to spray a car? Would 1.7 be too weak? Any info would be great. Thanks

i dont know if that compressor will work.

its 5hp peak power and working 1.7 hp. that means if you are shooting and it kicks on it may not have enough cfm to keep up with the gun. (which will give you an inconsistant flow of fluid and air) when looking for a compressor, look at the cfm and not the hp. if you take a look at it and the cfm at 40 psi is higher than the cfm required by the gun you are using than it will be fine though, but i would check that out before buying one.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nauty99SS
thats about the size of mine and it works fine .
I agree. My husband's work good.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Sounds good everyone; thanks for the replies; he said he would throw in the spray gun that came with it for free if I get it tonight... we'll see what the specs are on the gun and i'll ask if you guys/gals think it will work well!
Old 06-11-2008, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Ok the gun doesn't have anything on it as far as CFM or PSI or ANYTHING. I don't think its going to work well, as I doubt its 'gravity fed' with the "tank" thing on the bottom of the gun. So I will likely get a DevilBiss as I've heard decent things about their guns; think that will be alright?
Old 06-11-2008, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

That should work, IIRC they (devilbiss guns) only use 13cfm @ 30psi on the inlet side which will yield 10psi at the tip as long as the compressor can handle that you'll be fine. I usually go a lil bit lower for primer and base and right around 30 for clear, just don't forget all the other filters and what not mentioned earlier. Practice on some spare panels or parts first to get the hang of it, also check out some of the stickies up here there is one with a link to a bunch of how to's.
Good Luck!!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Are their guns really this cheap? Or is there a specific model that I should be looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DeVILBISS-Finish...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Devil...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/DeVILBISS-Blue-F...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-11-2008, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

And is it a better idea to use one gun with two different tips (a 1.8 mm base and 1.3 mm clear) or get two separate guns, one with 1.3mm and one with 1.5 mm..

1.3 -- http://cgi.ebay.com/DeVILBISS-Starti...QQcmdZViewItem

1.8 -- http://cgi.ebay.com/DeVILBISS-Starti...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-11-2008, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

I use three different finishline guns; one for base, one for metallic/pearl bases and mids, and one for clear, and I just use their starting line gun for primer. I prefer to use separate guns so I don't have to take the time to fully clean and swap tips between base and clear and so I'm not shooting metallics through my clear gun. If this is a one time thing I'd just get one finishline gun with multiple tips or you could even use the startingline kit, but I haven't used those for anything other than primer. However, if you plan on doing more of this in the future you may want to get a finishline two gun kit, either way if you aren't using these every day make sure to break down and fully clean the gun when you are done.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by torquejunky
I use three different finishline guns; one for base, one for metallic/pearl bases and mids, and one for clear, and I just use their starting line gun for primer. I prefer to use separate guns so I don't have to take the time to fully clean and swap tips between base and clear and so I'm not shooting metallics through my clear gun. If this is a one time thing I'd just get one finishline gun with multiple tips or you could even use the startingline kit, but I haven't used those for anything other than primer. However, if you plan on doing more of this in the future you may want to get a finishline two gun kit, either way if you aren't using these every day make sure to break down and fully clean the gun when you are done.
Thanks; you mentioned pearl bases...I was wanting to do a reddish flake pearl, and I was told it would go in the clearcoat...how would I mix that and spray it? To get the metallic flake look but REALLY small 'particles'
Old 06-12-2008, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

You can do it one of two ways, you can either shoot the pearl as a mid-coat all by itself or you can tint your first coat of clear with it. If you tint the clear you will need a way to measure even amounts if you have to mix up more that one batch to cover the car so it looks uniform. Also the pearl will want to settle towards the bottom of the can on your gun so just make sure to give the gun a little "shake/swirl" every now and again to keep it mixed up in there but don't turn it upside down. I would definitely shoot some practice panels to 1) make sure you get the desired look and 2) just to get some practice if this is your first time.

Also check out this link for some basics and then there are some how-to threads for technique towards the bottom under references: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w..._exterior_tips
Old 06-12-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast377
That one should be fine for JUST running a spray gun. If you want to run body tools, then forget it. I had the biggest Craftsman Pro single stage compressor made, and it struggled with tools like an air file. You really need a 2 stage for stuff like that. The Craftsman ones usually run less than a grand...especially when you catch them on sale.

I agree. I have a 2 stage, 5 HP, 60 gal. vertical tank Craftsman compressor. I've had it clost to 20 years, it's never skipped a beat. I've used all sorts of ai tools and spray guns with it. The shipping crating had a "DeVilbiss" tag on it. I waited for a sale, and got a deal on it. I wouldn't recommend an "oilless" model.....
Old 06-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Teching In

You could probably use that can gun for primer. (or por 15)
Old 06-13-2008, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

I imagine this will be a one-time only deal for me, but I may end up painting a couple friends cars that could use it, if they pay lol

I think I'm gonna go with this kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DeVILBISS-Finish...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: What size air compressor for painting?