Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How To Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How To Question

I just got my suspension in the mail and this is going to be my first big project, can any help with some quick instuctions for installing shocks, springs and swaybars...is there a website on how to do this or a book?
thanks in advance..
Old 06-08-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are sevrall good write up here. Just be careful with the front springs if you don't know what your doing you could end up hurt or dead. Good luck
Old 06-08-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Front springs.
Best tool that i have found is a "strut compressor" The type that mounts to the outside of the coil, Autozone rents them for free (just need a $40 deposit) And you need to use an air impact gun, or it will take FOREVER. Some sort of rust spray will work to your advantage. Also when re-assembling the front springs, do not tighten them down completely and hope they will go in, leave the assembly with enough slack to turn and adjust the shock mount portion. Don't forget about the cotter pin on the steering nuckle bolt.

Rear shocks.
The top nut can be accessed via a precut square in the carpet right behind the top seat. Don't waste your time pulling back the whole carpet.

Rear springs.
I mentioned the shocks first because i would recomment you undo the lower bolt on the shock before you lift the tire off the ground to give you more free play to remove and install the springs, otherwise the rearend will hand on the shock when it is at the end of it's stroke. Springs are pretty much slip out - slip in. Might wanna have a prybar handy just in case.

Rear sway bar.
Easy unbolt, bolt up the new piece.

Front sway bar.
Undo the end links first, then unbolt the mounts. slip the new mounts onto the bar bolt up. Then use a floor jack to lift the lower A-arm to make it easier to install the bolt.

Last edited by djsanchez2; 06-08-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take your time, think about what your doing and if you need help dont be afraid to ask. There is a wealth of info on here so you will have a walkthrough if you need it. Have fun
Old 06-08-2008, 03:06 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by coolformula
There are sevrall good write up here. Just be careful with the front springs if you don't know what your doing you could end up hurt or dead. Good luck
Just like ^the man said. Search her on the site, itīs all her. Then, do it in baby steps. Realize this may take some time to get it right.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cjb
Just like ^the man said. Search her on the site, itīs all her. Then, do it in baby steps. Realize this may take some time to get it right.
By far the best advise to listen to.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

yeah make sure you compress the front springs with a spring compressor so they dont shoot off the shock.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the advice fellas i'm gonna need it. i'm going to use a hoist i hope it makes it easier. thanks again