General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rack and pinion leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rack and pinion leak

i have some leakage coming out of my rack and pinion at the driverside boot area, right around the clamp closest to the input shaft it looks like. I don't know much about rack an pinions, is there a seal inside the boot? or more than likely around the input shaft with all the lines going into it? I did a search but couldn't really find any pics to help, from what I hear, it looks like i'll have to replace the whole rack an pinion. Now I hear some guys go to a manual setup, do any of you guys run that? My car is my DD an im not sure how much i'd like that setup is it a PITA? thanx for the help
Old 06-08-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its a DD you dont want a manual rack...recheck the clamp and maybe readjust...if it continues to leak, your going to need to look into getting a new rack...pita if you dont have a lift...very easy if you do...and your going to have to have someone realign it for you
Old 06-08-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll get some brakleen, an see if i can really pinpoint it, theres nothing wrong with my steering an its a fairly small leak, theres just some fluid around that clamp. Is it possible just to replace that boot? I have access to a lift on the Air Force base close by so thats not a problem. Is there a writeup anywhere on how to change out that rack an pinion if it does come to that? thanx for your help jake
Old 06-08-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boot is sealed. Slightly. Shouldn't really leak out into the boot much. But if it is leaking then you need a new rack. I wouldn't mess with it unless it is a REALLY bad leak!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ugh, thats the thing, I would like to try an Road Race this summer if I get the chance an I'd like my car to be in top shape so this kinda stuff bothers me, its not pouring fluid out but theres just some fluid around that clamp, not forming drops but just a slight amount, its annoying cuz I don't like my car to leak anything.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normally their is a seal on the inside of the boot, as the seal leaks. The boot fills up with Power Steering fluid. That is what your problem sounds like. When you get a chance you should remove the black boot and see how much fluid is in there. If you plan on road racing I do belive the car has to be leak free. Most of the time that seal is leaking the RACK WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED.
Replacing the rack is not a real hard task to do a bolts and some line and then the rack slides out one way.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanx guys, its looking like i'll have to replace it, does anyone know how much a rack an pinion normally costs?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Launching!

i replaced the rack and pinion and tie rod ends not too long ago and it made a huge difference in how well the car steered.... i got mine from advance auto for like 200 and something and then got a $90 rebate when i took the old one in... so i think after u take the core back it came out to be like $175 maybe? it was a remanufacted rack but it's like new and u get a lifetime warranty on it..... i had it put in at a shop, don't remember how much it cost me but i don't think there is a whole lot of labor involved
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Anybody ever install a rack from 4th generation into a 2nd generation F-body
Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM

Its very easy, just two bolts and the tie rod ends. you will probly need to cut the drivers side bolt because it is too long to pull out, when you reinstall get a new bolt and invert it from the bottom so you dont have to mess with that again. ebay has some inexpensive rebuilts. make sure you check your RPO codes when you order. some years have two different style racks.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try some seal reconditioner ,I have use gear oil to stop rack leaks.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Teching In

My ps is leaking from the passenger side, pouring on to the ac pump , I think the ps cooler is cracked or something. Any thoughts from a leak on the left side or passenger side of car.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hi, when removing rack n pinion unit is there any fluid leakage from the power steering filler? Do i need to use a bucket to catch any fluids? Thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double J
Hi, when removing rack n pinion unit is there any fluid leakage from the power steering filler? Do i need to use a bucket to catch any fluids? Thanks
I would also like to know.

Quick Reply: Rack and pinion leak