Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what is this sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is this sound

well you can hear the transmision rotating also kind of grinding when you put it in 1st through 3rd . the noise is only there while you are going slow but accelerating in that gear? any ideas
Old 06-10-2008, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

Possibly sounds like bearing failures man. Kind of tough to pinpoint without actually hearing it though. Swing it by a shop and let some one take it for a ride...
Old 06-10-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short or constant grind? Rotating? /\/\ Likewise, sounds are hard to diagnose from a mere discription.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by connexion2005
Possibly sounds like bearing failures man. Kind of tough to pinpoint without actually hearing it though. Swing it by a shop and let some one take it for a ride...
+1.. 1 through 3 all drive through the countershaft, so a CS bearing going bad would be exasperated in those 3 gears.. Do you hear anything in 5/6/R ?

Was the Transmission ever rebuilt? The Countershaft is suppose to have preload on the bearings, and if it wasn't shimmed properly, the bearings would take the abuse..
Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 PM

I may have a similar problem.

I bought an '02 z28 and in about 200 miles transmission got stuck in 6th gear.

Took it back to the dealer, they said it was the clutch...fixed it and it was still messed up..took it back and they replaced 6th gear.

Now in 1st-3rd I hear a high pitched "whining" noise through light to moderate acceleration. It sounds similar to rear end whining when the bearings are going out, but its definately only noticeable in 1st-3rd. I havent had any other issues with my transmission in over a year since the initial problem, but this whining noise concerns me alot.

I suppose I should get it checked, and if I do I will let you know what the verdict is. My guess though, not good hehe.

Quick Reply: what is this sound