Fort Campbell

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fort Campbell

Anyone in the area?

How do you like it?

Where is a good place to live and a good real estate site?

Looks like this has a good possiblity of being my next stop.

Anyone in one of the Chinook companys there?

Thanks
Troy
Old 06-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Hey bro. Ft. Campbell isn't a bad place to be IMO. right now they have been rebuiling all of the on post housing and a lot of guys i know really don't mind it. if you are looking to buy a house then start shopping online now. search Clarksville, Dover, and Woodlawn TN. Also you can search Oak Grove and Hopkinsville . The base is actually half in TN and KY. once you find a few places you are interested in let me know where they are and i can tell you the pros and cons. i was stationed in Campbell from 03-05 and then i came back to the 101st in 07 right in time for OEF IX. there's a lot to do around here whether you're single or married. Nashville is only 45 min away if you get bored with the local stuff. as far as the Chinook units, well dude it depends. are you looking to go 160th? are you a Pilot or a Crew Dog? either way you can end up in one of 3 units. 96th ASB is the AVIM unit,(i'm pretty sure you don't want to go there), B CO 7-159th (Varsity) is the line unit that just got the new fox models and if you some how got sent there they would have to get you trained up on all that shiny new tan crap of a head ache. and last but not least you could find yourself in B CO 6-101st (Pachyderms). Which is where i'm at, i'm one of the FI's and am currently the detachment NCOIC here in kandahar. we won't be getting our shiny tan fox models until we get back from this place. i know some of the Varsity guys and it's a good group of dudes. they will be taking over for us when we leave here. AVIM is what it is, it sucks. Us Pachyderms are a close knit group, we'll be sick and tired of each other by the end of this tour, but we've always operated as a family type unit for as long as i've been here. this my second tour with this company and i have no complaints. anyways, i hope this helps. if you have anymore ?'s, i'll try and answer the best i can.

Last edited by robcas47; 06-12-2008 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow man thanks for the reply.

I'm a Pilot and currently in "Big Windy" out of Germany but currently in Balad. I'm not sure what company I am going to yet. I will be getting the F transition as well as the F model MTP enroute. So I could possibly go to the AVIM unit but probably not being a Junior test pilot.

How are they working the F transition for your company? Maybe send me a PM if you don't want to discuss it here.

The two options I see for myself are either going to Varsity half way through there next deployment, or coming to your company Just after you get back I guess. I'll be done at Rucker next June. Who knows, we might be flying together soon.

I certainly didn't expect to meet someone from one of the CH companys on LS1tech LOL.

Any good dragstrips around Campbell?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:34 AM
Staging Lane

always glad to help a fellow Hooker. Big Windy huh, i've never hard anything bad about you guys, i have a lot of friends that served in that unit and all of them recommend going there. Balad sucks ***, been through there a lot during OIF 1 and from what i hear it still sucks. always sempt like there was mortar war going on there, and if you got there at the wrong time the tower wouldn't let you off the airfield until the ID fight was over. that would last 3-4 hours sometimes. i hope it's a lot better for you guys over there these days.

i don't really know how they plan on our f model transition because they honestly don't know if we are going to get them as soon as we get back. that is the plan but we have been screwed over before on this issue. we were actually supposed to get the fox models first, but some idiot in an office thought we weren't going to have enough time for the transition before deployment and so Varsity got them instead. we ended up with a bunch of acft coming out of reset(POS). if you won't be out of Mother Rucker till June then you probably will be coming over to my unit or the Maint Plt(D CO) since you'll be a MTP. their current MTP is going to be retireing as soon as we get back. He's here in KAF with me and works his *** off.

there's only one strip around here called the Clarksville Speedway. it's 1/8th mile. ther's another 1/8th mile over in greensboro KY. the closest 1/4 mile is in Memphis. that drive could take you anywhere between 1 1/2- 3 hours depending on how you drive.

well dude, good luck house hunting. living in TN is nice and cheap.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually Rob the closest 1/4 is in Bowling Green at Beech Bend. It takes about an hour to get up there. The clarksville drayway isnt too bad on race nights but some of the TnT nights are really bad with a ton of POS cars. There are some fast cars though.

If you are looking for housing Id suggest anything on Tiny Town Rd. They should be done with it and its an easy drive to on post. You could look in Hopkinsville too because youll be working at the air field which is on the very north side of post in KY. Should be a shorter drive for ya.

If you like being outdoors Ft Campbell is the place for you. TONS of on post hunting and plenty of places to fish too. Land Between the Lakes is just plain awesome!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Josh STFU you don't know anything JK, listen ot bball man, long as I've known him he's been at Campbell and that's been a while
Old 06-12-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive lived in Clarksville almost my whole life, and when I joined the Army back in 2000 Ft.Campbell was my first duty station! Im out now and currently a contractor on post fixing weapons for most of the units on base. I think its a great place to live/raise a family etc.... The track scene is ok I dont go much anymore, but its there and if you go on a good night their are a few fast cars. The base itself is great and it gets bigger and bigger everyday. As for the housing market it awesome, whatever your looking for in a house you can get it here and for alot less than other states. Anything you might need throw a PM my way and il see what I can do for ya.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Campbells not to bad, I like it, im over at sabre, powertrain AVIM. Clarksville speedway is an 1/8 mile my only complaint about it is traction. tiny town has quite a few openings in real estate
Old 06-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

tiny town isn't bad really. i used to stay over in an area called "boot hill". and that place sucked. i bought a house right off tiny town and it's been nice. the only thing is that i'm right down the street from outlaw af and a lot of acft use that airfield for missed approach or inst landings. so i hear them buzzing around overhead a lot. but then again i've been on a few of those flights myself. they just finished a new subdivision right down the street from prachers mill and tiny town. really good looking houses. also there's a couple of speed traps on tiny town so be careful people.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

see this is what i love about PCSing. I find out alot of good info about a kick *** base, but then again, anything is better than Ft. HELL HOLE Polk.

I'll be there in July of 09
Old 06-21-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the good info guys.

And yes, everywhere is better than Fort Polk.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kens_02SS
see this is what i love about PCSing. I find out alot of good info about a kick *** base, but then again, anything is better than Ft. HELL HOLE Polk.

I'll be there in July of 09
July 09?? You know what brigade you are going to yet?

Another word of caution, if you dont live in the barracks try to have your housing situation final before you get up here so you dont have to live in replacement.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bballr4567
July 09?? You know what brigade you are going to yet?

Another word of caution, if you dont live in the barracks try to have your housing situation final before you get up here so you dont have to live in replacement.

i have no clue but i'm FA and i know that 1-3 BDE are here in Iraq with me and 4th is in AFG. My brother in-law is in 1st BDE, so i might try to get there if there's an opening for a E6 13W. I will have my housing striaght by the time i get there, looking at houses right as we speak.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Housing is such a PITA but in the Campbell area there are a TON of options.

Im with 3rd BCT and of course in Iraq too so it all blows.

I ETS when we get back this time though so hell yes for me.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Housing is such a PITA but in the Campbell area there are a TON of options.

Im with 3rd BCT and of course in Iraq too so it all blows.

I ETS when we get back this time though so hell yes for me.
you guys are up north with 1BDE, right? i think it's 2BDE that's down in the GreenZone area right. If so i'm right across the river from them at rustamiyah

Last edited by Kens_02SS; 07-02-2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-02-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I actually think we are. Im honestly not too sure where we are in the battle space because well Im confined to the FOB and stuck in an aid station.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rob you have a PM
Old 09-02-2008, 03:35 AM
Staging Lane

got your PM reply sent. i just got back from R&R a couple of days ago. it sucks coming back to this place.

Quick Reply: Fort Campbell