General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cleaning pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning pistons?

I am in the middle of a H/C/I/E swap and the pistons have a little (sut) on them. I was just wondering what to use to clean them up a little bit before putting my very expensive heads on the block? I have another question about the crank snout gear. I bought a new timming set that came with the cam gear crank gear and the chain. I think the only difference in the new and old is the material its made of. Do I need to replace the crank gear or can I leave it and just replace the cam gear and chain? Thanks
Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Launching!

anyone
Old 06-09-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used a razor blade to do mine, with brake cleaner. Took a long friggin time too. But mine were caked up horribly. A machine shop here told me I should have used an air driven circular sander. He showed me on a piston he had laying around and it took 3 seconds to clean them like new. He said it won't hurt the piston at all. Mine are forged though.

I bumped the key to bring each piston all the way to TDC so I wouldn't slip and touch the cylinders. I then wet vac'ed all the **** out when I was done with each one.

Before:

After:

Last edited by needadvice; 06-09-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Launching!

any ideas on the crank gear for the timing set?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

use a die grinder w/ a scotchbrite type disc to clean the pistons, It wont do damage like a razor blade. You can also use it to clean the deck so you get a good seal with the head gaskets.

Dont be lazy use the new gear.
Did your car already have a double roller? If you didnt buy a double roller send it back ang get a double roller. Did you als get a ported oil pump? If not get one of them also. You'll regret it if you dont..Trust me.

Btw its soot LOL!

Hope this helps.