Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 Reliability/Maintenance... I hear it's pooorrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Reliability/Maintenance... I hear it's pooorrrrr

So I was on the BMW forums the other day, because I am deploying to Iraq and when I come home I want to buy/pay for in cash a new car. I am thinking E46 M3, C5 or an EVO as a distant third. Now I always heard that C5's where extremely reliable, aside from rattles and refinement... they say that some have 130-140k on them, cammed and still only needing an oil change. That sounded great but then I heard from a former C5 ZO6 owner... a few actually, they said that the car was the most unreliable piece of crap they had owned and to steer clear from them. They said anything from a junk shifter to the need for a new motor and a new transmission even at low miles. I am leaving out numerous small details but what issues do these cars face? Why? and all that jazz. I had one of these at the top of my list but not so much anymore.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

84K miles and no problems at all.
1. Shifter is a drivers choice.
2. Motors last forever with proper maintenance.
3. Trans last as well when you shift right.

Numbers are in the sig but I am pulling the motor to go in the 800rwhp range.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Teching In

86K miles here.

Only major repair was the a/c compressor this year.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think someone was spreading misinformation. There are countless C5s with high miles running fine. I have only 12k, so I can't say from personal experience. I can tell you both of my Ls1 F-Bodys are still running today without any engine problems. I don't own the F-bodys but am still in contact with their new owners. The Ls1 engine is proven to run great with proper maintenance for well over 100k. If someone told you they replaced their Ls1 due to failure at low miles it was a mistake on their behalf. As for the rattles and refinement of the C5, you have to keep in mind these are not luxury cars. At the end of the day it is a sports car with some luxury. It is not going to ride like a caddy. That said, I have no problem with the interior fit and finish or ride quality. I bought the Z06 for one reason and it wasn't luxury.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 PM
9 Second Club

we have 95k on brother's 2000 FRC
just did heads cam clutch LT
has many dragstrip passes just blew the rear diff out. but racing it is bound to break something.
but have had less trouble with LSx powered cars in comparison to BMWs. i have repaired more of those than vettes. But this is coming from repair perspective.

at this point i do not know of a car that has a better bang for the buck than a corvette right now.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think that it depends on what aspect of the C5 you're referring to. There are thousands of c5's that have been plagued with electrical issues like the column lock, air bag/traction controls random warnings, grounding issues, and other electrical bugs. In contrast, the ls1 engine itself can be looked at as a marvel of engineering, an engine that has proven reliable for way north of 100K miles.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
C5 Reliability/Maintenance... I hear it's pooorrrrr
You heard wrong.
C5s are VERY dependable cars, amazingly reliable when you consider just how high performance a car it really is.
Hell even my C4 was totally trouble free and of course my C6 has been IMPECCABLY reliable.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

I have 51K and the only problems it has/had: CLB, and your typical fuel sensor not working all the time.

Other than that 0 issues.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know where to begin.

1. I do not know of a single BMW in a track environment that has ever been reliable enough to endure 2 weekends of texas heat at a road track without significant modification live without puking something. They love throwing rods or eating gaskets like it's a pasttime. I got a bunch of BMW racing/tuning friends. I'm always the devil advocate for an LSx swap.

2. EVO, I got a good chuckle out of that one. They can be made to be reliable, but the faster you go with them, the more annoying the problems will become. One of which will be the fuzz and ricers Nifty cars, but lacking in many areas.

3. For those former C5Z owners, I imagine they must have been the waxer type, debating on which meguirs(sp?) will get them the slipperiest drag... And they probably don't know how to drive stick to boot; woowee! Lookie there at my vette, she's fast she'll go to 60 in 3 seconds STOCK because of the third pedal I have installed. Not true you say? But the dealer told me so! Ohh! Look at the square footage of chrome though I put on! That's gotta be for something!

There are a lot of drivers who are NOT attuned to maintaining and driving a manual transmission sports car regardless of make.

I've dicked around long enough on these cars to know that they are literal tanks when driven by 99.995% of people; wherein you must do a severely boneheaded and stupid move to break something. I also know that you can't beat the overall maintenance costs. The overwhelming majority of people I know with these cars in my type of enviro report nothing but good things at every level of modification.

Last edited by OKcruising; 06-10-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Introduce the people you are getting your information from to this guy.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=300000

/end debate

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-10-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Someone is just trying to stir up ****
Old 06-10-2008, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

I have a 75 mile one way trip to work and I just turned 100k, bought the car two years ago with 50k. I changed the clutch at 90k just to be safe, recently my sending unit is pegged out (about a $50 and half a day fix), other than that, all she asked for was maintenance stuff (oil change, tune up, etc.....) Runs wonderfully.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only time mine has ever even been to the shop was for mods!

99 FRC
Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OKcruising
I don't know where to begin.

1. I do not know of a single BMW in a track environment that has ever been reliable enough to endure 2 weekends of texas heat at a road track without significant modification live without puking something. They love throwing rods or eating gaskets like it's a pasttime. I got a bunch of BMW racing/tuning friends. I'm always the devil advocate for an LSx swap.

2. EVO, I got a good chuckle out of that one. They can be made to be reliable, but the faster you go with them, the more annoying the problems will become. One of which will be the fuzz and ricers Nifty cars, but lacking in many areas.

3. For those former C5Z owners, I imagine they must have been the waxer type, debating on which meguirs(sp?) will get them the slipperiest drag... And they probably don't know how to drive stick to boot; woowee! Lookie there at my vette, she's fast she'll go to 60 in 3 seconds STOCK because of the third pedal I have installed. Not true you say? But the dealer told me so! Ohh! Look at the square footage of chrome though I put on! That's gotta be for something!

There are a lot of drivers who are NOT attuned to maintaining and driving a manual transmission sports car regardless of make.

I've dicked around long enough on these cars to know that they are literal tanks when driven by 99.995% of people; wherein you must do a severely boneheaded and stupid move to break something. I also know that you can't beat the overall maintenance costs. The overwhelming majority of people I know with these cars in my type of enviro report nothing but good things at every level of modification.
Nice write up and I agree.

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Introduce the people you are getting your information from to this guy.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=300000

/end debate
300,000 miles!
Nice!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

only issue i've had was a oil pressure sensor. I've driven it a little over a year and is not at 80k. Other then that it's just oil changes and rear diff fluid. Modded i still get 30+ mpg on the hwy and it cruises right along with no issues. Love the car. There may be a few w/ issues but overall they are VERY reliable from what i've read and seen
Old 06-10-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought mine new in 02 and have had zero problems with it.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After some careful research, I think I've uncovered the root of your problem:
Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
I was on the BMW forums
I'd take a high mileage C5 over an E46 M3 or Evo any day of the week - and twice on Sunday.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do very little maintenance on C5's and C6 platform's.

Mine, is a 120,00+ car that gets abused,...and holds up very well. I am on the stock Diff, and stock trans. I did have a bottom end failure due to an internal failure. That happened at 110,000miles and ALOT of abuse.

All things aside, they are GREAT cars. Highly recommend it over an evo, viper, or M3 anyday. However, this is your choice dude,...get the Car that **YOU** want,...not your buddies etc etc.

Not to mention, the shear aerodynamic's and power to weight should be an easy decision for an automotive entheusiest.

Corvettes are great. More times then often, once you drive one,....you'll always own one. Try it,...you'll see.

If you need help when you find a vette in question, PM me the VIN # and I will pull of of the GM service/warranty information on the car.

Best wishes on your decision.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

It's a Chevy, Nuff said!
Old 06-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

160,000 miles on my vette. Engine and tranny has never been rebuilt. Only the AC compressor and water pump went out on me.

Quick Reply: C5 Reliability/Maintenance... I hear it's pooorrrrr