Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who fills their own bottles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who fills their own bottles?

For the guys that fill their own bottles, how do you do it? I am thinking of just trying the freezer method before I go buying a fill station. I am tired of driving to get my bottle filled. Also can you "top off" a partially filled bottle? Like lets say I make 2 or 3 runs with the nitrous so my bottle is at say 6-7 lbs(10lb bottle), can I stick it in the freezer and then pull it out and put 3-4 lbs in it?

Also for guys that have a fill station, was it worth it? Is it that much easier to fill a bottle vs freezing it? I don't mind waiting for the bottle to chill.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Red face

12" -4 line and a scale, I never let the bottle get empty pop it in the freezer for 30mins and top it off, just dont over fill it too much.

I have posted more details/tips if you search my name
Old 06-11-2008, 05:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+ 1 for the freeze and fill
cheap *** bathroon scale, two bottle nuts and a 3' hydraulic hose i made at work.
Making the stand to hold the bottle upside down out of an old bottle cap is the hardest part of the whole gig.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am going to be using the freeze and fill method soon. I can't wait. It is going to save me a ton of money and time!

Sorry to hijack, but for the line going from the big bottle to the nitrous bottle both connectors are -4?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:13 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ccz28
I am going to be using the freeze and fill method soon. I can't wait. It is going to save me a ton of money and time!

Sorry to hijack, but for the line going from the big bottle to the nitrous bottle both connectors are -4?
Its really a matter of what you have laying around, or it was for me.
I had two -4 bottle nuts and i use a -6 on the car so it made sense for me to use the -4 nuts and line.
also the -4 line wastes less when removing it off of the bottle.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I want to start filling my own, I've been looking around at pumps and all that but they're gonna take a good compressor for an air supply and whatnot.

The gravity system seems like it will work, I think that there are stands that you can buy to prop a mother bottle upside down isn't there?

What about a shutoff, couldn't a 1/4 turn ball valve shut the feed off going into the 10 lb'er that goes into the car? I remember reading a thread on yellowbullet about it, guys were getting 55 lbs from their local gas company for like 110 bucks of something, I'm like yeah, I need to get on that and stop paying 4 to 5 bucks a lb LOL.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I freeze fill my own #15 lbs. bottles and always get it all in there. The pump works grate to but you need a compresser. If you get your own bottle you will have to pay a yearly lease and for the nitrous,Here I get it for 110.00 for 56lbs. witch come out to $1.96 a lbs.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Thing is there's a local stereo shop near my home that sells nx stuff to ricers, and they have to drive a 1/2 hour at a min to fill a bottle, so I may be filling alot of bottles

I don't care about lease fees, if I get s fill setup chances are I'm gonna be filling ALOT of bottles.

I figure at 4 bucks a lb I'll be the cheapest guy around and chances are, one of the only guys around
Old 06-12-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gees. Here to get a bottle filled it runs you $6 a pound. If I get my own supply it will cut that in half, saving me a ton of money!

So if I order a line with a -4 fitting on each end I should be good to hook up to the big bottle and my 10lb bottle?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much would it cost to get something like this started?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not much. I am going to do the freeze and fill method so I will not need the refill station. All you need is a bottle, which is about $60 a year, and a digital scale. I believe that is all you need.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

How are you able to get the large supply bottles filled by bulk vendors? (Praxair, Airgas, etc). Will they sell/lease/fill for any walk-in customer?
Old 06-12-2008, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

You have to set up an account with Airgas, etc. It takes a little bit of time. It is getting expensive anyway. I get my big cylinders from Airgas (only supplier), and it cost me $217 with me picking it up. So, I end up selling it for $5.00 a lb to recoupe my cost for driving to Airgas, my pump, time, etc. Freezing is easy, but it takes a pump to get every drop out of the cylinder. Also makes life easy when customers are in a hurry and didn't freeze their bottles.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

already have an account with airgas, what kind of pump do i need?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Teching In

http://www.louisvillemustangs.net/fo...117#post471117
Here's a used fill station for sale if anybody is looking for one?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

MOAR INFO!!!! I would love to start doing this myself. I have a buddy that works at an Airgas here intown so I might be able to get the hookup with that and I have about 3 freezers at my disposal.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kdavis
already have an account with airgas, what kind of pump do i need?
There are several pump choices out there. I went with the Cold Fusion pump kit. Comes with everything you need. If prices keep going up though, I'll be selling all my nitrous stuff and going Forced Induction.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

you are heading in the right direction refilling yourself; always have spray anytime and make some coin on the side (get various adapters if you will)

my reco....
when it's all said and done, do it right the first time and take a look into NX's system. stand,pump, SAFETY valves so ya don't freeze ur fingertips off when removing it as spray gets stuck in the feed line. plus they have a dig scale so you know exactly as general guage scales are often off a LB or two. Plus NX gives a big Bad *** 10ft banner to hang in the garage

regarding spray....
look for welding distribution firms (sell equipment to various shops, etc) google around, they are all over, or ask a machine shop/mechanic/welding supply store who their distributor is, they will be glad to give a referral makes em look good....if you go with a system that needs a stand to invert the mother bottle upside down MAKE SURE THE FEED BOTTLE DOES NOT HAVE A SIPHON TUBE. Some newer ones you will rent will have it stamped on the side, the older ones you will occasionally get dont - hit or miss but always ask and ask again. Getting an account is nothing, same as filling out a credit app. Or just tell them you don't want terms (easier) and open the acct on credit card or cash basis. When i first got my kit i had the kit, the acct, terms, and two mother bottles the same day.

AND most importantly CLEARLY state your are seeking automotive grade spray! They call it NY-TROUS. so you don't look like a junkie tryin to score but having ur own station makes ya an addict anyway

hope this helps, PM me if u cant find a supplier. the firm i work with distributes nationally i can ask them for a reco in ur area.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

I called Airgas this week, they want $224 for a 55lbs bottle. Which saves me money but not as much as was hoping. I am going to go the freeze and fill method for now and if I keep the nitrous I may go to a fill station.(might be changing out my LT1 for an LS1 turbo set up this winter!) I like the nitrous but that bottle sure does empty fast! LOL

Guy
Old 06-15-2008, 01:48 PM
8 second mod

i have a filling station but i only use it if i have no time and im in a pinch and dont have time to freez.
the freez works much faster if you have time.

Quick Reply: Who fills their own bottles?