Kinda In A Debate B/t The Holley Stealth Ram Mpfi And Fast Xfi Efi

And Good Advice On These 2?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by J$Money
Kinda In A Debate B/t The Holley Stealth Ram Mpfi And Fast Xfi Efi

And Good Advice On These 2?
The Holley computers suck ***. I have seen far more bad 950 Commander computers than good ones. They are more bug ridden and hardware fault-plauged than Windows ME on a bad Chinese copy of an Acer computer. The stealth ram intake, however, works damn good. It allows a much smoother low end, and almost the same top end as a large single plane carb style intake. BTW, my only experience with the Holley systems have been on a .030 overbored 400 smallblock and a 434 motown motor, both with large cams and excellent heads. Between those two builds, we finally got one computer to work properly out of 6 or 7 that were sent back.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run FAST XFI on the Camaro.

Most annoying thing about it - if you are tuning it real time, you MUST disconnect for the changes to be saved. This sucks because the software will lock up occasionally when you are logging + tuning at the same time.

The UI isn't bad but its no HP Tuners or EFI Live. There is no way to take logged O2 correction data and apply it the fueling which would drastically speed up the tuning process.

It offers some neat features though -- 16x16 maps, multiple tunes (4 user selectable channels), misc. inputs, and comes with a leaded race gas compatible wide band sensor (L2H2)
Old 06-10-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

well i'm REALLY wanting to run the holley stealth ram intake but if the mpfi system's shitty what system is most suggested to run w/ it?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

well i'm REALLY wanting to run the holley stealth ram intake but if the mpfi system's shitty what system is most suggested to run w/ it?
The actual Stealthram intake could be used with ANY aftermarket EFI controller. My neighbor with the 434" in his vette just switched to a Haltech, but it has a few mostly minor issues we are working out. Getting a base tune sorted out was a serious bitch, and the PWM outputs are a little odd. I would rate it less user friendly than AEM, but more user friendly than Snyper.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:36 AM
TECH Regular

hmmm.........? anymore suggestions?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ive had the FAST Xfi in my stang for a week now.....so far, I love it.

If you want to make a trip to memphis I will be glad to show you the software, tuning, install.

I can also get you a great deal on one as Comp is one of my shops biggest supporters.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run from the Holley!! well.... TBH I'm not really joking. I don't think their software has seen a revision since the late 90s, and for the setup I worked on, it was action-packed with issues. The Fast seems much more modern by comparison, though you are right, it is cell by cell tuning for the most part.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions
Ive had the FAST Xfi in my stang for a week now.....so far, I love it.

If you want to make a trip to memphis I will be glad to show you the software, tuning, install.

I can also get you a great deal on one as Comp is one of my shops biggest supporters.
that would be great! if you would do that i'd be more than happy do let you do the tuning. i was actually planning on being in memphis some time this summer so that would make my trip more worth the while. hit me up w/ a pm on about how much i would need for the setup.

btw would you suggest just the ecu set up or the whole setup intake and all?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

that would be great! if you would do that i'd be more than happy do let you do the tuning. i was actually planning on being in memphis some time this summer so that would make my trip more worth the while. hit me up w/ a pm on about how much i would need for the setup.

btw would you suggest just the ecu set up or the whole setup intake and all?
PM sent. Let me know what the FAST set up would be going in and I will get you a price.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:02 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cast iron
I run FAST XFI on the Camaro.

Most annoying thing about it - if you are tuning it real time, you MUST disconnect for the changes to be saved. This sucks because the software will lock up occasionally when you are logging + tuning at the same time.

(L2H2)

I'm not sure what you are talking about having to "disconnect to save the changes"? I use one in my race car, also sell and tune them. Whatever you type in while it is running, that is what is in there when you disconnect. You do have to save the file to your pc to have a copy other than the one in the XFI box. I have not had lock up problems with it, like I have on one machine with Hptuners. Do you maybe have a screen saver or anti-virus software installed? It's best to not have anything running in the background when tuning in real time.

Btw, I agree about the Holley stuff. Avoid it like the plague. Way too many ECU failures.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I'm not sure what you are talking about having to "disconnect to save the changes"? I use one in my race car, also sell and tune them. Whatever you type in while it is running, that is what is in there when you disconnect. You do have to save the file to your pc to have a copy other than the one in the XFI box. I have not had lock up problems with it, like I have on one machine with Hptuners. Do you maybe have a screen saver or anti-virus software installed? It's best to not have anything running in the background when tuning in real time.

Btw, I agree about the Holley stuff. Avoid it like the plague. Way too many ECU failures.
Ed,

If whoever is in the driver's seat turns the key to off (and kills the power) before the disconnect command is issued, all changes are lost.

My Toughbook is more then capable and I have never experienced lock ups with BS3, HP Tuners (in real time), EFI Live, SCT, AEM, Motec, applications that are coaxially installed and used.

A "smooth" function would be nice also.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:02 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't imagine anybody doing that, but I guess if you have a helper in the driver's seat it could happen. I do all my part throttle, transitions, etc, on the dyno so I don't need somebody else driving and don't have to watch traffic. Most of the FAST stuff I have done lately are race cars with no mufflers. Couldn't drive them on the street anyway. Last two are NHRA Stock Eliminator cars. One changed from a Holley C950, the other from DFI.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Default smooth...

if by smooth, you mean interpolate, yes, it does have that function...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Default save changes...

oh yeah, and i cant say that ive ever had to save changes. when you make an adjustment, it is changed. if the power goes out, the file stays where it was at, after you made the last change. I am pretty sure about that. After making changes i usually close out of the program and dont go to any save all tables, ive never had it revert back to the way it was before the changes...
Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 89LS1RS
if by smooth, you mean interpolate, yes, it does have that function...
I'm aware of interpolate, and wish there was a smoothing function. I use Excel for the time being.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 89LS1RS
oh yeah, and i cant say that ive ever had to save changes. when you make an adjustment, it is changed. if the power goes out, the file stays where it was at, after you made the last change. I am pretty sure about that. After making changes i usually close out of the program and dont go to any save all tables, ive never had it revert back to the way it was before the changes...
If the power to the FAST unit is cut while connected, it will not commit the changes. Exiting the program or disconnecting will commit the changes.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

ok back to me for a sec, how would the holley stealth ram intake perform with the FAST ecu etc, compared to the intake that comes with the complete xfi efi set up?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

anyone have any experience w/ edelbrock fuel injection?
Old 06-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Launching!

no, but it sounds pretty cool to run the xfi on the edelbrock intake...

Quick Reply: Holley Mpfi Vs Xfi Efi