General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ugh! Not starting?!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugh! Not starting?!

I had to get a jump start a couple days ago because the car wouldnt start over. But there was a clicking noise. And now I went out today to run a quick errane. Now it doesnt its start, no noise, just dead silence. I tried getting a jump, no work. Checked the ignition fuses, no work. Anything you guys might now of that I can do. Because I dont wanna take it to a shop.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well......when you say it doesnt work, does it even try to turn over or just sit there. How about getting the battery load tested. Usually when you get that clicking noise it means there isnt enough juice in the battery to get it to turn over.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

well it clicked when it wouldby start on friday. but this time it didn't make any noise, and it wouldn't turn over. but all the lights and gauges work. so should i worry about the alternator and/or starter being out? also i could just take the battery to my local mechanic? cuz towing it would be muy expensivo. Lol.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:02 AM
Teching In

It sounds like the starter to me. Found this for you on another forum. Should help you get to the shop.

If you hear a click, but the engine isn't cranking, then the solenoid worked. If the engine is turning, then it could be the battery. If it has happened before, like a random, intermitten problem, it is probably the starter. What you can do to test it, depending on how hard your starter is to reach, while someone is inside the car trying to start it, have someone tap the starter with a stick or pole. If it will start by doing that, you know the starter is going bad.

Last edited by ezwip; 06-10-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1stunna
well it clicked when it wouldby start on friday. but this time it didn't make any noise, and it wouldn't turn over. but all the lights and gauges work. so should i worry about the alternator and/or starter being out? also i could just take the battery to my local mechanic? cuz towing it would be muy expensivo. Lol.
most likely the battery or alternator. ive had this happen before on several cars and it was almost ALWAYS one of those two. if its the starter, its likely to make more of a grinding noise, not clicking. I'm not 100% but i believe advance, or autozone does free checks on alternator output, and battery capacity. good luck, it shouldnt be a costly fix (im going to go out on a limb and guess its your battery, esp if its the stock one)
Old 06-10-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ezwip
It sounds like the starter to me. Found this for you on another forum. Should help you get to the shop.
the engine is not likely to turn over even slowly if its a low battery (could be batt, or alt.) because of it being a high compression motor.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

i would get the battery tested first, then the alternator
Old 06-10-2008, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

just had this same problem this past weakend. ended up being a bad battery that was a 2 year old red top optima
Old 06-10-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm, that might be it. Because I did notice that my Battery Gauge is in the Warning/Yellow zone. This one automotive maintenance company I spoke to said that my computer might have to be reflashed because the Security light keeps flashing. They also started it might of locked my vehicle from starting. So I think theyre just trying to blow smoke up my *** or something.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright just tried using a different battery. I used the one from my brothers truck. I did make a slight tick noise then stopped, but still didnt start. All the lights, and gauges worked, but it didnt make a any noise, nor did it turn over. So it has to be the alternator, right? Also I heard if you change the alternator you have to change the battery too?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happened on my 87 camaro.. fast ticking noise.. It was the battery, I needed a new one. Check that the battery you took from your brothers truck has enough juice to turn your LS1 over first. Try the starter trick, tapping on it with a mallet, hammer, or whatever you got. if that fails, then move on to the alternator.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also I wanted to note that the Security Light keeps flashing...

Search this Thread