Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Putting in new front suspension today, please give tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Putting in new front suspension today, please give tips

Hey all,
I am "stranoizing" my front end today (Koni SA's and Strano Springs). I already rented the spring compressors and balljoint separator forks from autozone, and I have a torque wrench to use as well. I have read the write ups thoroughly on various sites including this one, but I want to know if anybody has any extra advice from experience on doing their own. I know that breaking the upper control arm loose from the spindle is going to be a b@!@%, advice on that would be great along with how you got the top rusted shock bolt off and steps to safely compress the spring. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

the best info i can give you is this site www.ls1howto.com they have a complete write-up with pictures on how to switch out the front springs/shocks. should be everything you need. it really isn't very difficult.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tuffguy610
Hey all,
I am "stranoizing" my front end today (Koni SA's and Strano Springs). I already rented the spring compressors and balljoint separator forks from autozone, and I have a torque wrench to use as well. I have read the write ups thoroughly on various sites including this one, but I want to know if anybody has any extra advice from experience on doing their own. I know that breaking the upper control arm loose from the spindle is going to be a b@!@%, advice on that would be great along with how you got the top rusted shock bolt off and steps to safely compress the spring. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
how much did AZ charge for their spring compressor?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Darkhorse, the Spring Compressors and the Balljoint breaker bar were free through their "loan-a-tool" program. They charged me $90 for everything ($40 for each set of spring compressors, and $10 for the fork), and that is to be reimbursed upon return. I used them yesterday, they got the job done!
Unfortunately I broke the sway bar end link on the drivers side and stripped the upper ball joint when I overtightened the castle nut. I ordered two new balljoints from Pep Boys (I've heard decent things about their suspension parts). They are Pro Steer brand? I know Moog is top of the line stuff for joints, do you think I went with a bad choice?