Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found this interesting regarding QTP headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I found this interesting regarding QTP headers

I recently bought a set of QTP headers wanting to completely redo my exhaust setup that I had on the car previously (Pacesetter/TSP duals dynomax bullets). Well I decided on going back to a Y pipe design just because it is sooo much easier to work with and no one down here in southern illinois would touch my exhaust to help me run the duals. Something like 10 shops said, "No, you can't run duals on these cars." I even took them photos to prove that yes, in fact it could be done.

Anyways, I was looking into mating up the QTP Y with the headers just because I assumed it would fit best, I mean hell, it's made by the same freaking company you'd figure they would have a very well matching product... but from what I've read on here they don't. The drivers side seems to hang very low from what I've seen. Well here's what I find interesting. My drivers side header sits very very high, like there's only an 1/8" clearance between the header and the floorboard. So seeing this I had no idea how in the hell it could hang low on that side. While talking to LS2bait via PM he sent me a picture of his. The difference was amazing! I put pictures in here to compare. He says you can almost fit a fist above his header, while mine is so tight I can barely fit a finger... That's one hell of a quality control issue. Good news is that I think that should take care of the low hanging issue with mine at least...

Here's the pictures of mine...

And here's his headers...

Old 06-10-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought i had pics of my LTs but i dont. I mean have pics, jsut not with exhaust on them. I had pics liek you guys posted. if need be i can post some up
Old 06-10-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I thought i had pics of my LTs but i dont. I mean have pics, jsut not with exhaust on them. I had pics liek you guys posted. if need be i can post some up
It'd be cool just to compare if you have them.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait until that guy gets his transmission installed and sitting on the crossmember, right now the engine is leaning back making it look like theres clearance.
Also notice on the bottom pic in the center left someone beat the **** out of the floor, for clearance maybe?
Actually both of the cross members have had the **** beat out of them, that and the fact the engines leaning back is why he has so much clearance.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 06-10-2008 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-10-2008, 10:31 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I was going to say the exact same thing as 9000th01ss. A large part of the differences in how exhaust fits in these cars is due to what motor mounts and trans mounts you have. They play a big role on how the motor sits, which directly effects the placment of the headers and exhaust.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Tech Resident

Here's a few pics of mine. Sorry they're not a little better, but hopefully they'll help.

Not sure why his headers are sagging so low? Either it's a big manufacturing defect or his mounts are sagging really badly. I'd tend to blame the mounts first because they are known to sag like your great grandma's **** on our cars. I can tell you there were only 45,000 miles on my car when the headers went in and the mounts were totally whacked. One side of the motor was an inch or two lower than the other and the engine had to be lifted and the mounts realigned. I still don't think they're sitting right as once in awhile, the driver's side cat smacks the crap out of my floorboard. Now the engine sits a lot better, but the stock rubber mounts are junk and if he has a heavier block (doesn't he have a 408?) sitting on worn out stock mounts with 100,000 miles on it, I wouldn't blame QTP. If he has poly's or solids, that's a different story, of course.

You can't call out QTP for having bad manufacturing tolerances when you just show two cars, especially when the cars are known to have motor mount issues. The only way you can pass judgment like that is to take two sets of headers and install them on the same car and check the clearance when the mounts are in the same position.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Wait until that guy gets his transmission installed and sitting on the crossmember, right now the engine is leaning back making it look like theres clearance.
Also notice on the bottom pic in the center left someone beat the **** out of the floor, for clearance maybe?
Actually both of the cross members have had the **** beat out of them, that and the fact the engines leaning back is why he has so much clearance.
Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I was going to say the exact same thing as 9000th01ss. A large part of the differences in how exhaust fits in these cars is due to what motor mounts and trans mounts you have. They play a big role on how the motor sits, which directly effects the placment of the headers and exhaust.

I see what you guys are saying. Personally though when I took the pictures of my car the trans was not in the car, however, I do have solid Spohn motor mounts. I don't know about LS2bait... Maybe he can chime in?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I see what you guys are saying. Personally though when I took the pictures of my car the trans was not in the car, however, I do have solid Spohn motor mounts. I don't know about LS2bait... Maybe he can chime in?
LS2Bait has poly mounts
Old 06-11-2008, 08:00 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Here's a few pics of mine. Sorry they're not a little better, but hopefully they'll help.

Not sure why his headers are sagging so low? Either it's a big manufacturing defect or his mounts are sagging really badly. I'd tend to blame the mounts first because they are known to sag like your great grandma's **** on our cars. I can tell you there were only 45,000 miles on my car when the headers went in and the mounts were totally whacked. One side of the motor was an inch or two lower than the other and the engine had to be lifted and the mounts realigned. I still don't think they're sitting right as once in awhile, the driver's side cat smacks the crap out of my floorboard. Now the engine sits a lot better, but the stock rubber mounts are junk and if he has a heavier block (doesn't he have a 408?) sitting on worn out stock mounts with 100,000 miles on it, I wouldn't blame QTP. If he has poly's or solids, that's a different story, of course.

You can't call out QTP for having bad manufacturing tolerances when you just show two cars, especially when the cars are known to have motor mount issues. The only way you can pass judgment like that is to take two sets of headers and install them on the same car and check the clearance when the mounts are in the same position.
Read the responses again. With the trans out of the car, the motor is only being supported by the two mounts located on either side of the motor. Obviously the motor can now pivot on those two points, and because of their location, the motor tilts backwards. Take a dvd case and put one finger on each side of the box long ways directly across from each other and look at what the box does. It will tilt forward and back. This is what is happening in those pictures.

That's it, nothing else.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

actually that is my car guys. it has poly mounts and it doesnt move when the tranny is out unless u tug on it. with the tranny in and bolted up i have the exact same clearance. i can put my fist above that header. like stated. the quality control sucks.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:25 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Wow, I stand corrected and apologize. I have poly motor mounts and my motor does move a little, I just never checked how much it moves. I know it does rock up and down because with the factory trans mount, my shifter moves up and down at least an inch or more.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Wow, I stand corrected and apologize. I have poly motor mounts and my motor does move a little, I just never checked how much it moves. I know it does rock up and down because with the factory trans mount, my shifter moves up and down at least an inch or more.

no need to apologize u didnt build these headers i wish mine tucked up like his though as that really my main issue with the qtp headers. that and the drivers side collector leaks. when i got them i also had to mill the flange down on the pass side as it was warped and leaked around the #4 exhaust port. but my pacesetters had to be done also so i wasnt too worried about that. just wishing i would have gone with arh
Old 06-11-2008, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
i did that for my old y pipe with pacesetter headers. that y pipe tucked up above the subframes connectors so i pounded the floor in to keep it off the floorboard. this one has tons of room in that area now.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
no need to apologize u didnt build these headers i wish mine tucked up like his though as that really my main issue with the qtp headers. that and the drivers side collector leaks. when i got them i also had to mill the flange down on the pass side as it was warped and leaked around the #4 exhaust port. but my pacesetters had to be done also so i wasnt too worried about that. just wishing i would have gone with arh
How was your clearance with the Pacesetters?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

I got mine because of the price of just the headers I could handle. Then I too fell into the which Y pipe will work routine. Ended up getting a Pacesetter Y cut and welded to work. Now I'm getting a custom made one with my Magnaflow/carsound cats because I can't take the fuel smell and tractor rasp. I can't say I would have done anything different just because I can't save up $1300 plus for what I wish I could have, ARH with their catted Y. Mine are pretty tight against the body though.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
How was your clearance with the Pacesetters?
phenominal. fit was great on them-if they had been stainless i would still have them.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned

phenominal. fit was great on them-if they had been stainless i would still have them.
My pacesetter ORY was touching the floor brace, drivers side.
I had to wedge a 2x4 in there and weld it back onto the header. Now it has 3/4" gap and beats the floor.
All stock mounts.

I think it'd be a good fix to cut the floor brace as wide as the pipe, then weld in a section of thick channel steel.

I don't like it hitting and I also don't agree with those mounts to fix this or the idea of wedging something in there. It may solve the banging put theres a strain on the header since it will be holding the engine from twisting.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

I completely agree. I loved my pacesetters. Just didn't like the rust...