C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

How to adjust parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust parking brake

03 Corvette Z06

heres the issue.... Everytime I start the car and release the e-brake I get a vibration/rattle from the back of the car... Really annoying... With the e-brake up I get nothing...When I am driving nothing... Although at idle its horrible and I need to fix this...

Also it takes quite a while for the e-brake to lock, nearly all the way up before I get enough to lock the brake and park.

How do I go about adjusting the e brake / e brake cable...

If anyone else has had this happen what did you do to fix it.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bzettler83
03 Corvette Z06

heres the issue.... Everytime I start the car and release the e-brake I get a vibration/rattle from the back of the car... Really annoying... With the e-brake up I get nothing...When I am driving nothing... Although at idle its horrible and I need to fix this...

Also it takes quite a while for the e-brake to lock, nearly all the way up before I get enough to lock the brake and park.

How do I go about adjusting the e brake / e brake cable...

If anyone else has had this happen what did you do to fix it.
My GM teacher told me how to do this a whle back(years)...so, forgive me for not being 100%. I am at this moment trying to find out GM's information on this but,..it seems a bit technical to understand.

You will need to remove your passenger seat to get to it....

this is what GM says...

Reposition the carpet away from the parking brake lever.
Remove any rivet, drill bit or cotter key from the park brake lever.
Install the park brake cable to the park brake lever.
Install the carpet to its original position.
Cycle the park brake lever three times in order to obtain proper park brake cable tension.

but..hang on...i'm looking more into it.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Swing by Midas and have them do it.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

What that joke... Midas.... I dont think I am going to let them touch my car.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Ok drive around with a F' up e brake!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

I tried to change out my parking brake assembly and there is so much tension on the cable that you cannot get it off the rachet assembly. GM is full of crap if that is what they are saying as their how to!.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by twospeed
I tried to change out my parking brake assembly and there is so much tension on the cable that you cannot get it off the rachet assembly. GM is full of crap if that is what they are saying as their how to!.

Remove the two 13mm bolts, that hold the ebake cable in place...should be attached to a bracket. I have never removed the brake lever assembly out of my car but I have removed my ebrake cable assembly off of the brake lever(attached to the brake caliper) with no issues.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Remove the two 13mm bolts, that hold the ebake cable in place...should be attached to a bracket. I have never removed the brake lever assembly out of my car but I have removed my ebrake cable assembly off of the brake lever(attached to the brake caliper) with no issues.
Are you talking about under the rear of the car at the brake assembly?
I was trying to just change out the E-brake lever assembly between the seats
and couldn't get enough slack in the cable to remove it from the e-brake assembly.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

I think the noise I am getting when the e brake is down is from the e brake cable sitting on the exhaust or something.... I dont know where I should adjust it or how... I just know its not very tight and need to adjust it... Does anyone have more info...

I heard you can remove the center console and adjust is rigth by the handle
Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bzettler83
I think the noise I am getting when the e brake is down is from the e brake cable sitting on the exhaust or something.... I dont know where I should adjust it or how... I just know its not very tight and need to adjust it... Does anyone have more info...

I heard you can remove the center console and adjust is rigth by the handle

You can remove the seat(13mm nuts)(2 of them)(maybe 4), and the center console, the adjustment IS there. I just have never done it before, and I don't have my car close by,...so I honestly don't know EXACTLY what to do without looking at it. I looked on my gm site but,...it's unlcear(to me)...and the pictures they give,..are IMO, useless due to lack of detail.

I've been trying get in touch with my old teacher who has a vette,...and has done it a few times to his own car. He said it was easy. Honestly, just take out the seat, that take 5 minutes, the center console is held on by 10mm nuts,...easy...then you should be able to see some sort of adjustment( i would imagine).

I know i'm not giving solid info but,...in theory,...it should be easy.

If you feel your cable is rubbing on something,...jack up the rear of the car,...support it with good solid safe jackstands.....and give her an inspection.

Quick Reply: How to adjust parking brake