LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Starting to ? these cars....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to ? these cars....

Well, where to begin? I am starting to have problems with this car. First the power steering went and I just now got the replacement parts. Today when I went to start the car it took like 3 tries when it starts on the first one. There is something starting to clunk in the rear of the car and when I am on the highway (only highway, mind you..) it seems to surge forward when I am cruising. The only way to correct this is to press the gas more. Seems like DOD kicking in and out (much more than usual) or a transmission problem, dirty MAF. I came so, so close today trading in my cavilier and GXP for a 04 Monte SS/SC Dale Jr. Edition and an 08 Cobalt Sport today. I wish I did... If anyone can shed some light on any of this or offer some opinions please, please reply. Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Old 06-11-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

The engine and tranny stuff should be covered on the 5yr/100k warranty? Power steering is that hose problem some people have... do a search. I suppose not starting could be something like a battery/alternator/starter or related to the engine problem if someone didnt change the oil frequently enough or ran some low octane gas.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hang on brother, don't jump the gun just yet. the dod surge is usuall, as it gets older, and you get more used to it(how many miles on your beast?) As said above the steering maybe the hose TSB, you should/will find out when you get it back, and the starting trouble, might, and I mean might be, poor gas, low octane, give it a couple more tanks at another station, with their PREMIUM GAS and see if it helps. Just trying to help.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how many cars you've had or what your experiences have been but i've gone threw this whole nit picking **** of something being broke. Drive the **** out of it until it really breaks :-\. If it still does 0-60 in 6 seconds or so its fine as long as you have your warranty why worry about it.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sint3k
I don't know how many cars you've had or what your experiences have been but i've gone threw this whole nit picking **** of something being broke. Drive the **** out of it until it really breaks :-\. If it still does 0-60 in 6 seconds or so its fine as long as you have your warranty why worry about it.
RIGHT ON BROTHER!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06WHITEMCSS
RIGHT ON BROTHER!!!!!!!
Exactly....I bitched about problems early on with this car. I had so many problems and glitches its not even funny. I get crap from my friends (who all drive Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes', Jag's) when my car doesn't start, clunks, knocks, and rattles all the time, and makes funny noises. The car doesn't unlock/lock sometimes and I've got so pissed I've thrown the keys at the car. I've had about 3 dead batteries (before the Optima) and I've full on kicked the car. I won't even mention the times the car has just died on the freeway....funnnn.

But once the beast fires and stops screwing around....the loud pedal makes up for its shortcomings, and I'm thankful I have some wheels. Its the essence of owning a Chevrolet...it ain't a ultra-refined automobile and that's what gives it character. Its a love-hate relationship...sorry for the sentimental post.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Like Nacho said. This rental GP's RKE doesn't work half the time - nice for walking around Detroit at 1:30 am.

I was thinking about a Cobalt SS until the accident. The cars are buggy w/ stupid crap, but aside from the P/S hose, mine has never been deadlined.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Guys. The car has 51,000 miles on it. I always run premium gas in it. I did do a search and didn't find any answers so I posted this. The car is out of warranty since it is an 05 that only came with the 36K mile warranty. I always change the oil with mobil one ever 4500 miles. I am very good about maintaiming any car I drive. Just ask my wife she thinks it is too much. lol... Thanks again.

-Mike
Old 06-12-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
Thanks Guys. The car has 51,000 miles on it. I always run premium gas in it. I did do a search and didn't find any answers so I posted this. The car is out of warranty since it is an 05 that only came with the 36K mile warranty. I always change the oil with mobil one ever 4500 miles. I am very good about maintaiming any car I drive. Just ask my wife she thinks it is too much. lol... Thanks again.

-Mike
Well if your out of warranty you have to ignore everything extra hard hehe.