Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing new engine from above....With or without m6 tran?

Old 08-14-2003, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing new engine from above....With or without m6 tran?

Simple question...when putting in the new engine (I only have jackstands, but they are big ones), should I leave the trans off until the engine is in?
Should I put the clutch/bellhousing on before I insert it?
Should I leave it all off until I can install it from below?

I think the cowl and the hoist engine "tipping" thing should make it a little more challenging.

Advice?

thanks,
Chris

Old 08-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Installing new engine from above....With or without m6 tran?

You can do it both ways, and there are pros and cons either way. I sugest you put it all together first, attach it to the K-memeber, then put it in through the bottom of the car.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also... perhaps the wrong forum, but a follow-on question to add: If the engine is out of the car, and the tranny is being bolted up outside of the car, I presume you still need a clutch alignment tool before you bolt on the pressure plate?

thanks,
Chris
Old 08-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would use one, but I've heard of people that eye-balled it well enough to get it in. Might take a couple of tries, though. The hard part will be getting the input shaft to go into the pilot bearing. If you had some way of hooking up the hydralic line and disengaging the clutch while a second person moves the tail housing in small circles and pushes like hell, you could do it without the alignment tool.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:40 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely purchase an alignment tool. It will make your life much easier. You can find one at Autozone cheap. The LT1/LS1 tools are the same.

You can install everything (eng/tranny) from the top, but the few times I have installed a motor from the top, I just go ahead and leave the tranny off. Bolt up the clutch assembly before installing the motor though.

As someone said above, installing everything from the bottom (eng/tranny/k-member) is the way to go. It is a little more challenging without a lift to do it this way, but it can be done.

Jason
Old 08-14-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I R&R'd my LT1 motor last week in my 94Z. Through the top, didn't even have to remove the hood. I left the A4 tranny in place. I had no accessories or crank pulley on the motor, and there was just enough room to clear. I could see with an M6, though, and the flywheel problem - if you had the clutch already bolted to the motor, I think it'd clear.. but it'd be close. If it were me, I'd drop the motor in from the top first, and then put the clutch, then bellhousing, then trans in from below. But that's me.

Good luck,

Andrew
Old 08-14-2003, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats how bare the engine is... all the accesories are off... soooooooo... Im thinking that the clutch and bellhousing can go on first.

I'd try the K-member/fron below thing, but Im used to doing things from the top, and honestly, it would be a whole different process. I think at this stage with everything unhooked it might be quicker from above.

Does anyone REALLY think I should pull the car off the K-member (presumable with the engine hoist to get it high enough), or can I go my more comfortable way of through the top? (the hood is already off, etc)

thanks for the advice. It was a very expensive engine (to me), its a perfect car, and I really need to do this perfectly.

thanks,
Chris
Old 08-14-2003, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw... I pulled the old motor with the clutch/bellhousing/pulley attached, and it cleared.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:11 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

I say bolt that sucker on and we'll get it in that way. BTW, I just threw out a clutch alignment tool last night dude! Uhg...shoulda told me and I woulda brought it up with me when I come to help install that beast.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, I just threw out a clutch alignment tool last night dude! Uhg...shoulda told me and I woulda brought it up with me when I come to help install that beast.
Dude!?

DUDE.

Dude............ $

Old 08-14-2003, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Chris you answered your own question when you said how you pulled motor. Either way with patience will work fine.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chris you answered your own question when you said how you pulled motor. Either way with patience will work fine.
In some ways, but it may be more efficient to put it back in with the whole transmission attached...

Search this Thread