Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Better Springs For MY Needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better Springs For MY Needs.

I currently have Strano Springs and I LOVE the ride height. Its just that they ride a little rough for my tastes. If I put about 400lbs worth of people in the car it rides 100X's better. So Im thinking I need softer spring rates.

What are some softer springs out there? and before anyone says get new shocks. I have Koni SA's and they have been adjusted TOO MANY TIMES TO COUNT.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most of the popular springs besides MAC and BMR are softer than the stranos. See if you can get some used fronts from a member in the for sale section.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't think you'll see any difference, at least in the direction you are looking. It's not like we're running really high rear rates @ 150 lbs.

In all honesty, you have to remember that lowering springs are stiffer and shorter, both effect ride. Some springs are lower and even less stiff, which is fine from time to time, but at other times makes the bumpstops the defacto spring. And if you don't have enough rate to match the lowering you ding off the stops a lot harder than we'd like. This is why folks who've had Pro-kits tend to report a better ride with my springs, even though mine are stiffer.

I think your best bet if to change the ride tangibly is to forget lowering springs altogether and go back to stock GM springs..... you can use the perch/isolators to keep the height a bit lower than stock.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by my01ws6
I currently have Strano Springs and I LOVE the ride height. Its just that they ride a little rough for my tastes. If I put about 400lbs worth of people in the car it rides 100X's better. So Im thinking I need softer spring rates.

What are some softer springs out there? and before anyone says get new shocks. I have Koni SA's and they have been adjusted TOO MANY TIMES TO COUNT.

Thanks in advance!!
I personally think if full soft won't do it then it's time for a new car.

I take it you considered your tire type? Wheel size? bumpstop types? Do you have stock seats? Are you sure your shocks are working correctly? Maybe you just have something else wrong?

It's funny because my Camaro's ride quality on strano/konis by far rides better than my STI does stock. I never would have dreamed that that would be the case before I got my STI, but it is.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks in advance!!
How big are those wheels? And what is your tire pressure at?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well right now its riding on 16" snowflake wheels with 245/55/16 snow tires. I think my pinion angle may be a bit messed up too. Cause like I said when I have 400lbs in the car the car rides like a DREAM. Not sure why that is but Im about to start adding sand bags!

I just think something is wrong because I dont think it rides to much better then sportlines and stock shocks. I think I may have some other problem going on.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I just don't get it.... Ride complaints are just not normal. I'm not saying it doesn't ride poorly for your tastes, but there isn't much specific about how it rides, what the shocks are set at, how shock changes effected it for me to get a grasp on what's going on here. Especially since it's pretty evident that others aren't having issues that are like yours with the same springs and shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not expecting too much. But I am expecting a little better than this. It rides just a tad bit better then my sportlines and stock shocks that were all blown. I was expecting a HUGE difference but was very dissapointed.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

There's gotta be something wrong. You sure you are at full soft in the rear?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Teching In

what about useing 6 cylinder springs
Old 06-13-2008, 10:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm sorry to hear that, but you are certainly in the minority here. And again there have been a number of folks trying to help, but not a lot of information is forthcoming. I'd suspect the shocks are not soft. Many folks have set them "backwards" by mistake.

If you want to change springs, you can change springs. But it's not the springs, I'mo 99.999996% sure of that.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I will check the shock settings this weekend. What would you reccomend me setting the front shocks at if I have them set at full soft in the rear?
Old 06-13-2008, 01:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I can't go on assumptions.... You need to check and confirm the settings. I don't even know which rear Koni's you have as you've never said. Nor have you stated how you know you've got them full soft.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Koni SA's I know they are on full soft because I turned it towards the minus all the way untill it would not turn anymore. Im pretty sure im set at 5 full sweeps from firm in the front.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There is no minus on the rear ****. Only an arrow that points toward firm. FWIW.

Not much more I can add here. If you don't like the springs, that's fine and I wish you did. I just don't think the issue is springs since the rate we use is not super stiff. And in fact if you just go out and push on the back of the car you'll be able to move it yourself, let alone with the weight of the car moving around.

I wish you luck, but all the other lowering springs are either lower or stiffer, and neither are what you are seeking. Again, I'd have to say stock springs.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I took a drive in it today and I think my exhaust is hitting my car on most bumps. I think that is probably contributing to the harsh ride.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I took a drive in it today and I think my exhaust is hitting my car on most bumps. I think that is probably contributing to the harsh ride.
I gotta ask again, check what your tire pressure is at.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Banned

my01ws6 - what are your suspension mods besides the springs and shocks?

i have pretty much an entire rear suspension that is rod ended and Sam's springs and Koni 4/4. It is a rough ride on bumpy roads but canyon carving and aggressive driving at high speeds totally makes up for the thuds, clunks and bangs on San Diego's shitty streets.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats all the suspension mods I have with the exception of a strut tower brace.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

I think the car is not for you. You should sell it and get a Honda Accord

Quick Reply: Better Springs For MY Needs.