General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

little part. big problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little part. big problem?

ok i have a 02 camaro. my car is running like crap. it feels to be missing. it has a 402 in it tuned and all. i have the motor in it for a year or so. all the sudden it starts this crap. question is. can the iat sensor make a car run real bad. or what other sensors could it be. i have had a couple of codes come up latly thats weird. a a.i.r. bank one code.( i dont have that system anymore) and the trottle position sensor out of range code. like i said the car has been running fine for a year or more. please someone help me. any input may help. i tried posting this in the tuning section and got nothing. i have been a watcher of this forum for a long time and you guys have helped me with a lot of stuff before. thank you
Old 06-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Launching!

That is very weird...even if for some reason you forgot to tune out the AIR system in the computer I can't see it making the car run that bad. I'd start with the TPS i guess. Take a multimeter and test it (Im not 100% which pins your supposed to use) Set the multimeter to OHM's and make sure the reading goes steadily up as you move the throttle, not sparatic and all over the place. If this seems ok, find the blue wire in the plug that goes into the TPS and change your Multimeted to Volts DC. This reading should not go over 4.72V. Somwhere to start! Good Luck man! Nice car by the way!

EDIT: The ignition must be in the RUN postion but not started in order to do the second test.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Teching In

finally somebody answers me. thank you man. here is the deal. i have tested the tps. its at .4 with the ignition on. i also just had a buddy of mine us his gnesis scanner. i had some funny readings, i thought. the short term fuel trims on one bank were at like -9 to 0. the other bank was +2 to +14. long term was way off like that to. the scanner shows cylinder misfires. several cylinders were misfiring at different interavals. a couple of cylinders would show 18 to 26 misfires per min then go to 0 for awhile. come on guys i need help. BAD!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Teching In

the trick to this is. the car was running smokin fast for over a year. i let it sit a couple of weeks now it runs like ****. (not bad gas. i already ran out the old)